T-Mobile says over 10,000 iPhones sold at German launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
T-Mobile, the mobile services arm of Deutsche Telekom, said Friday it has sold more than 10,000 iPhones on the first day the touch-screen handsets were made available in Germany.

The iPhones were purchased via the company's retail stores and over the Web, T- Mobile said, adding that it is "well prepared" to meet further high demand.

Speaking in a television interview Thursday, company's chief executive Rene Obermann said it's possible demand in Germany for iPhones during the Christmas sales season may outstrip supply.

T-Mobile's upbeat comments arrive in stark contrast to observations published Friday by media outlet Reuters, which insinuated that the German launch was lackluster at best.

While a few hundred "hardcore fans" lined up at a Deutsche Telekom retail store in Cologne, Germans in downtown Frankfurt reportedly lived up to their reputation for thrift and resistance to hype.

Outside the T-Mobile store on Frankfurt's main shopping street, people hurried to work without noticing the placards outside the shop proclaiming the iPhone's arrival, according to Reuters.

"Really? No, I had no idea," said one woman, declining to stop to give her name when asked whether she was aware the iPhone went on sale on Friday.

iPhone launches in Germany.

MacNotes.de publishes a photo gallery from the launch.

Shoppers in Cologne pack a Deutsche Telekom retail store.

Meanwhile, one solitary would-be buyer loitered outside the shop an hour and a half before opening time.

"I'm astonished there's no one else here," said 34-year-old Uwe Berger, a computer programmer who fell in love with the iPhone on a recent visit to the United States.

"I don't find the price too high. The iPhone can do more than other phones and of course it's much better."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Wow...! Not excited about the iPhone sales as much as about the picture in the middle .

Looking forward to the UK launch, and similar pictures from there of course .
  • Reply 2 of 45
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

Wow...! Not excited about the iPhone sales as much as about the picture in the middle .

Hell, she could have got one "Free" looking like that - hell I would have bought it for her

Skip
  • Reply 3 of 45
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

That is the German comedy celebrity Ruth Moschner (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1046216/) - she was there on invitation and she very likely got an iPhone for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IWc9II-bsM
  • Reply 4 of 45
    steste Posts: 119member
    Nice widgets, lady!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    love the ta-ta's...
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Omg Omg Omg BOOBIES!!!
  • Reply 7 of 45
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    10,000 phones in a country the size of Germany does seem a little weak to me. It might have been worse if the chick with the nice rack hadn't shown up.

Hope sales in Great Britain are better.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut View Post

Omg Omg Omg BOOBIES!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by esp211 View Post

love the ta-ta's...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

Nice widgets, lady!

c'mon ... lets have a little class here. Besides, I still think what she's holding is sexier.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

c'mon ... lets have a little class here. Besides, I still think what she's holding is sexier.

I agree. Wonder if she's planning to jailbreak her new toy?
  • Reply 10 of 45
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Wow 8 out of 10 responses had nothing to do with the iPhone.

Way to go guys lets show the women readers how intelligent we are.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

10,000 phones in a country the size of Germany does seem a little weak to me. It might have been worse if the chick with the nice rack hadn't shown up.

Hope sales in Great Britain are better.

10,000 is actually not bad considering a few factors...

- The T-Mobile tariffs are just plain bad (and the early buyers will be bummed when they come down after X-mas and they will be stuck for 24 months) and even existing T-Mobile customers get very bad conditions when changing from an existing tariff, plus there are almost no attractive T-Mobil tariff options (like landline flat) that can be paired with the iPhone tariff

- Tech press in Germany (at large as per instructions given by their advertisers, partially with identical wordings ) really put the iPhone down and was poking fun at the US. After the release of the tariffs they really gave the impression that everybody buying that must be an idiot

- Germans at large (die hard Apple fans excluded) are very resistant to hype (unless it is against something) and a lot are plain cheap. People will wait for hands on reviews, better tariffs or other developments.

- A lot of business people I know wait for the announcements in France and the price of the unlocked version. Its only three weeks and even if the price of the phone is double, one will easily save it in roaming charges when travelling - and Germans travel outside the country a lot.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

What women readers are those, exactly?
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

I don't see the correlation between intelligence and appreciation for nice breasts.

I do however, see a correlation between sexual preference and appreciation for nice breasts.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Reading that T-Mobile was well prepared sounds a little strange for me. I for myself bought today an iPhone and cannot say that EDGE of T-Mobile is performing as well as Vodafone with UMTS. I wrote about my personal experiences with the iPhone's mobile internet connection here in my blog.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jobst-von-Heintze View Post

Reading that T-Mobile was well prepared sounds a little strange for me. I for myself bought today an iPhone and cannot say that EDGE of T-Mobile is performing as well as Vodafone with UMTS. I wrote about my personal experiences with the iPhone's mobile internet connection here in my blog.

Aye, that's very interesting, that. But to get back on topic, what do you make of old Ruthy Whatserface?
  • Reply 16 of 45
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Ruthy must be featured in an iPhone ad, holding it tightly between her gorgeous breasts. Mmm...
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Alas, my fellow Brits are no looking so hot:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7085643.stm

Where is Melinda Messenger when you need her? Shame on you, U.K., shame!
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

Alas, my fellow Brits are no looking so hot:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7085643.stm

Where is Melinda Messenger when you need her? Shame on you, U.K., shame!

What a shame, they sure picked them at random it seems .

Both Melinda Messenger and Nell McAndrew should have been invited in the UK iPhone launch.

http://celebrity.azplayers.com/naked...l_McAndrew.jpg

Take that female readers (Apologizing...)
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut View Post

Omg Omg Omg BOOBIES!!!

for the slow ones:

sar·casm /ˈsɑrkæzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sahr-kaz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

?noun

1.\tharsh or bitter derision or irony.

2.\ta sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

[Origin: 1570?80; < LL sarcasmus < Gk sarkasmós, deriv. of sarkázein to rend (flesh), sneer; see sarco-]

?Synonyms 1. sardonicism, bitterness, ridicule. See irony1. 2. jeer.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The US is Apple's home arena. There they're in total control over press, commercial rollout, spots etc. and know how to build up momentum. Outside the US Apple often do a sparse job when it comes to advertisement etc. I think it'll pick up though, like with the iPod. Even though there were minimal efforts in ads in the early days here in Scandinavia for example it picked up a significant market share when the buzz spread around.