Why, oh why Max?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Although Clearwire has valuable spectrum for the eventual rollout of WiMax, with the Sprint deal falling apart, is Clearwire a viable company?... or is Sprint no longer a viable company?

http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/09/tech...ef=werecommend

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Although Clearwire has valuable spectrum for the eventual rollout of WiMax, with the Sprint deal falling apart, is Clearwire a viable company?... or is Sprint no longer a viable company?

http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/09/tech...ef=werecommend

I would have to say Sprint is the less viable. Since their acquisition of Nextel, they have been courting businesses. As a result, I feel their consumer-oriented services have suffered. They are losing customers and seem to be lost philosophically as a company. It will be interesting to see if their new CEO can turn things around in the face of increasing competition and in the face of increased expectations on the part of consumers in the post-iphone era.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    The stock analysts I read on Friday seem to agree that there is still a lot of value in the spectrum owned by Clearwire, but the separation with Sprint is quite damaging for the hoped-for accelerated rollout of WiMax.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Sprint certainly has the best product: fastest data, best speech quality, and no roaming charges (their network isn't as geographically large). Three years ago, they had the advantage of having much nicer phone lineup than Verizon. Now, that can't be more false. An iPhone deal would certainly help them.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I had CLWR but sold on the news and took a nice little loss.

It seems to me that it would hurt CLWR more as they were contributing less in the nationwide coverage than Sprint was going to. Overall though it seems like it hurts both of them. Having nationwide WiMax coverage seems very appealing to me and now it looks like that won't happen.

A 'google' phone with WiMax for internet access could be a strong product for Sprint. Again, with nationwide coverage they could offer something no one else can at the moment. Hurts them both if you ask me.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I had CLWR but sold on the news and took a nice little loss.

It seems to me that it would hurt CLWR more as they were contributing less in the nationwide coverage than Sprint was going to. Overall though it seems like it hurts both of them. Having nationwide WiMax coverage seems very appealing to me and now it looks like that won't happen.

A 'google' phone with WiMax for internet access could be a strong product for Sprint. Again, with nationwide coverage they could offer something no one else can at the moment. Hurts them both if you ask me.

I bought more CLWR at 13.07 instead of selling. I think they are still a decent bet.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

I bought more CLWR at 13.07 instead of selling. I think they are still a decent bet.

You got bigger balls than me.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You got bigger balls than me.

It's still a fairly safe amount for me, for now. OTOH, I was reading the comments on the Yahoo stock board today... wow, some of those fools really lost a ton of ground on AAPL over this past week. They were "bragging" about buying $60K worth of AAPL at 190(!) then crying about the drop. Oh, man.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

It's still a fairly safe amount for me, for now. OTOH, I was reading the comments on the Yahoo stock board today... wow, some of those fools really lost a ton of ground on AAPL over this past week. They were "bragging" about buying $60K worth of AAPL at 190(!) then crying about the drop. Oh, man.

Well I took the CLWR proceeds(what was left) and put it to work in AAPL. I hope that turns out to be wise. I have more conviction about apple than CLWR.

I still think WiMax is great technology. Ars got a preview of it in Chicago and they're quite impressed so far. I just am not sure who or how money will be made off this technology. I think the 'Holy grail' is to offer this nationwide. That would be tremendous.

Good luck to you. I may come back to it or Sprint later on.