My Improved Dock

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Replaced the default Dock images with something a little more 'stylish', created a new separator for between regular applications and the active/stacks dock area, added new indicators instead of the neon blue balls, and utilized a design of 'bins' I saw posted elsewhere to put a front on all the stacks.

I'm really happy with it.

It doesn't come through as well in this small image, but this dock looks like a tinted glass shelf with a steel bezeled edge. It still has a nice reflection capacity. The indicators are small circled white arrows, and the separator is a set of raised parallel lines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    That bins idea is really nice. I hope Apple put that in officially. Use the icon of the folder as the logo on the bin.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Heres mine, completely see=through and totally reflective with real blue LEDs:

Made it myself
  • Reply 3 of 19
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

utilized a design of 'bins' I saw posted elsewhere to put a front on all the stacks.

Where did you find the BINS? Does this only work on Leopard or will it work on Tiger or Panther?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Where did you find the BINS? Does this only work on Leopard or will it work on Tiger or Panther?

Go here: http://t.ecksdee.org/post/19001860

It only works with Stacks so I guess Tiger and Panther are out.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    The bins are AWESOME. I actually just came here to post about them. Solves the stacks problems for me and looks very nice.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    you should both upload your docks to dockulicious.com
  • Reply 7 of 19
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Replaced the default Dock images with something a little more 'stylish', created a new separator for between regular applications and the active/stacks dock area, added new indicators instead of the neon blue balls, and utilized a design of 'bins' I saw posted elsewhere to put a front on all the stacks.

It doesn't come through as well in this small image, but this dock looks like a tinted glass shelf with a steel bezeled edge. It still has a nice reflection capacity. The indicators are small circled white arrows, and the separator is a set of raised parallel lines.

What program has the blue and white round ball for an icon?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

What program has the blue and white round ball for an icon?

Google Earth
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I opted to stick with the black glass motif (iPhone must be getting to me) and designed my own bins. Feedback appreciated. Bins, Dock etc. available by request, including .psd source files.

• Reply 10 of 19
    ijakijak Posts: 12member
    The bin idea is nothing short of fantastic. You just fixed stacks. Well done. The edge on the dock makes it look more tangible, and less floaty. The apple UI may have wonderful spit and polish, but UI design should really be about clarity and not much else.

Any chance a retard (me) could pull the bins trick off?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    You really need to upload your dock to dockulicious.com, it is the best looking dock I have seen yet. Good job
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Managed to get the icons on the stacks, but how did you change the actual dock? Colors and the indicators etc.

It looks great!!!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

How can I do the bins. That simply rocks.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    The bin idea is really nice, who ever came up with that is a f!cking genius. Even though I still refuse to buy the new OS, things are looking better. I just need Apple/Adobe to fix a few things before I buy.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Sport73 I would like the files to update my dock, your implementation is the best I have seen yet !
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I downloaded the bins form the website and they are AWSOME! I LOVE how they look on my dock!(WHich i got from Leoparddocks.com)
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Awesome! You, my friend, just did in two weeks what Apple failed to do in two years. Bravo
  • Reply 18 of 19
    i did a couple (apps and downloads) of stack overlays. they could have turned out better.

i got the crates from http://apathae.deviantart.com/art/Mi...neous-16114994
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Hey everyone, sorry for the delayed response. My sincere appreciation for the praise of the dock, but the bins concept was not my own; it floated about the internets and was reported to have originated in Japan.

Nonetheless, my dock can be downloaded from this site:

http://www.2blivingdigital.com

Thanks and enjoy. The source .psd file for the black bins is in the download so you can make your own.

You just create a 'dummy' folder in your desired stack (I have a folder inside Applications labeled "Application Stacks' where I put folders holding aliases to grouped apps). Then, change the icon of the dummy folder (label it "_<something>" since the underscore will always make it come first. Change the icon using "get info" copy/paste and you're done.