How do you handle this?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I subscribe to several tech sites trying to keep my 'finger on the pulse' of technology. I go through them, and if I find something of interest, I click on that site and move on to the next one. I end up with a bunch of tabs on Firefox. Then I open those, delete the ones I don't want, and delete the ones I've read. If it's something of value, I used to bookmark them. That used to leave me with many - MANY - bookmarks. I had so many, I couldn't tell which were permanent and which were temporary.

My next scheme was to keep a folder on the desktop called "Check Out". I drag the addresses into the checkout folder. When not busy, I go through them, delete some leave some.

Does anyone have a better way to handle this?

This day of labor saving devices certainly doesn't save me any time or labor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

This day of labor saving devices certainly doesn't save me any time or labor.

But you access much more information.

Unfortunately I work similarly and cannot offer any advice.\
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Categorise your permanent bookmarks into folders (and sub-folders, if necessary). Then when you add a bookmark, add it to the "top level" (i.e. uncategorised). If it's not in a folder, it's temporary.

If you find that this creates a messy Bookmarks menu, then add a "Temporary" bookmarks folder where you put your initial bookmarks (before you decide that they are important enough to place into your regular categorisation).

Then you must just go through your temporary bookmarks occasionally to throw out the junk and categorise the bookmarks that you want to keep.

This does sound very similar to your desktop folder, but at least it's kept in your browser. This is the sort of thing that I do (but I must admit that I don't collect many bookmarks).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Categorise your permanent bookmarks into folders (and sub-folders, if necessary). Then when you add a bookmark, add it to the "top level" (i.e. uncategorised). If it's not in a folder, it's temporary.

If you find that this creates a messy Bookmarks menu, then add a "Temporary" bookmarks folder where you put your initial bookmarks (before you decide that they are important enough to place into your regular categorisation).

Then you must just go through your temporary bookmarks occasionally to throw out the junk and categorise the bookmarks that you want to keep.

This does sound very similar to your desktop folder, but at least it's kept in your browser. This is the sort of thing that I do (but I must admit that I don't collect many bookmarks).

That sounds like a winner. NOW all I have to do is categorize my bookmarks. If you don't see any posts from me for the next few weeks, you'll know I'm still working on it. It sounds better than my desktop folder. I'm a neatnik and I like my desktop empty as possible. Unfortunately, I'm lazy as well as being a neatnik. Catch 22.

Another AI member posted about "DeskTopSweeper" which I've been using for the last few days. It hides stuff that's on the desktop. However, if you happen to put something on the spot where something else is hidden, that previous file pops up. Another reason to get rid of my 'Check Out' file.

Thanks for the suggestion.