3rd party application permissions

gongon
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
In the course of Leopard install, I also separated my regular user account and admin account.

I have installed all software as admin, but I'm seeing permissions problems all over the place. At least three apps have had problems so far.

MacVim wouldn't even start before I tinkered with permissions. It seems to be running fine after I did chmod -R a+r and then went through the folder hierarchy doing chmod a+x to every folder that didn't allow access.

Quicksilver and Gimp both crap the Console full of reports, Gimp crashes a lot and I'm not even seeing the full preferences menus in Quicksilver. I suspect these problems are permission related too, though I didn't touch them yet. I hate the fact that I don't really *know* if things are fine even with the one app that *looks* to be running fine after the manual fixes.

So the question is, is there some way I can ensure permissions are set correctly on an app? Bonus points for minimal typing per new app install/update.

I know Disk Utility's Repair Permissions is for the OS' own files but I ran it just in case. It fixed something related to Java, plus printed these two rows:

ACL found but not expected in "Applications"

ACL found but not expected in "Library"

I know it stands for Access Control List but I don't know how to use them. Could these ACL's have borked the installs somehow or are the packages guilty for sure? Also, DU doesn't exactly make it clear if it fixed the irregularity or if it remains.