email on iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm loving my iPhone. Only thing I'm struggling with is sending email - all my accounts receive fine. I have a .Mac account but also a couple of university IMAP accounts. Should they work? At present all my email is sent through one of their smtp servers and won't send from the phone. Do I need to set it up specifically or will it simply not work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

I'm loving my iPhone. Only thing I'm struggling with is sending email - all my accounts receive fine. I have a .Mac account but also a couple of university IMAP accounts. Should they work? At present all my email is sent through one of their smtp servers and won't send from the phone. Do I need to set it up specifically or will it simply not work?

Just set your SMTP servers to smtp.o2.co.uk with SSL switched off. You will only be able to use your default SMTP servers when you have a WiFi connection through your associated ISP. For example, if your ISP is BT at home you won't be able to send through their SMTP servers at Uni if they use a different ISP.

02 will allow you to send through their SMTP servers anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    If you are in the US you can use 'cwmx.com' . That is the AT&T smtp server. Don't put smtp in front of it. This is a thread from another forum.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Just set your SMTP servers to smtp.o2.co.uk with SSL switched off. You will only be able to use your default SMTP servers when you have a WiFi connection through your associated ISP. For example, if your ISP is BT at home you won't be able to send through their SMTP servers at Uni if they use a different ISP.

02 will allow you to send through their SMTP servers anyway.

What username and password do i need to put in with that? Still can't get it to work.