Apple releases firmware fix for freezing aluminum iMacs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 which is intended to improve system stability on 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computers with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics card.

Specifically, the update [772KB] is for 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computers with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics processor, running Mac OS X 10.4.10 with iMac Software Update 1.2.1 for Tiger, or Mac OS X 10.5 with iMac Software Update 1.3 for Leopard.

The patch updates the graphics firmware on the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO card to address issues that may have caused the systems to freeze, Apple explained in a tech note.

Not every 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computer requires this update, however. Users who are not automatically presented with the update via the Mac OS X Software Update mechanism do not need it, the company explained. Users who manually download the update and attempt to install it on an ineligible computer, you will receive an error message.

If you manually download the update and receive the following error message when selecting a volume, "You cannot install iMac Graphics Firmware Update on this volume. Your computer does not need this update," one of two conditions exist:

You have not installed the iMac Software Update 1.2.1 for Tiger or iMac Software Update 1.3 for Leopard. From the Apple menu, select Software Update and install the appropriate software update, and then reinstall iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0.You have already installed this update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    Ah...this is where I should be looking...Sorry about the wrong post...

So....if anyone applies this and the problems disappear PLZ let me know.

Thx
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Gave me more problems in day one than my PB 17" in more than 3 years.

Please, post your feedback quickly so i can decide to keep ou give back my obsolete imac!

Thank you.

PS. My first post
  • Reply 3 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mauro View Post

Gave me more problems in day one than my PB 17" in more than 3 years.

Please, post your feedback quickly so i can decide to keep ou give back my obsolete imac!

Thank you.

PS. My first post

Yes, but are your complaints still valid after this update, and the OS updates released this week?
  • Reply 4 of 53
    The iMac Software Update 1.2 previously fixed my graphics issues with locking up, except that it had introduced random complete system crashes, so I had to reinstall Tiger from my install DVD to roll it back. But after installing 1.2.1 again today, and then the firmware update, I haven't had any graphics issues with shaders or any system lockups; everything is running great.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

Ah...this is where I should be looking...Sorry about the wrong post...

So....if anyone applies this and the problems disappear PLZ let me know.

Thx

Yes, it works, so far no more freezing!!!

I can enjoy my iMac finally
  • Reply 6 of 53
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Does anybody know how much the slowed down the video card?
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Does anybody know how much the slowed down the video card?

How do you know that the update slowed down the video card?
  • Reply 8 of 53
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My computer found the update. I have 10.5 on my 24" iMac but my wife's 24" iMac with 10.4.11 did not find it under software update. The only differences that I thought we had were ram and she has a 2.4 GHz cpu.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    edited: disregard -- sorry, not talking about the firmware update
  • Reply 10 of 53
    I installed the update date and the computer restarted after booting up and then just went to a black screen after about 5 minutes of the swirling line circle with my background. After another 5 minutes, I held the power button until the computer shut down. How do I know if it took?
  • Reply 11 of 53
    I think they have worked a miracle. I have almost given up on my 24 Alum Imac. Thank you Steve, Thank you!
  • Reply 12 of 53
    After SU said it had installed the firmware update, nothing happened. So I chose to reboot and it was then that the firmware dialog popped up right as my machine restarted. I crossed my fingers hoping I hadn't screwed up by choosing to reboot.

I ran SU again and I was surprised to see it showed I needed to download the firmware again... I download again and nothing... So I search in Spotlight and it tells me the iMac Graphics firmware app is in the Utilities folder where I double-clicked it and installed/rebooted with no issues.

Bottom line is if in question, look in the Utilities folder for the app. I still don't know if it should have automatically launched after download/install.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    I was on the phone waiting for Tech Support (about this issue, of course) just as the notice was posted. Hung up the phone, installed the update, and all is fixed, now and forever.

Fight back for the mac!
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmyers2 View Post

After SU said it had installed the firmware update, nothing happened. So I chose to reboot and it was then that the firmware dialog popped up right as my machine restarted. I crossed my fingers hoping I hadn't screwed up by choosing to reboot.

I ran SU again and I was surprised to see it showed I needed to download the firmware again... I download again and nothing... So I search in Spotlight and it tells me the iMac Graphics firmware app is in the Utilities folder where I double-clicked it and installed/rebooted with no issues.

Bottom line is if in question, look in the Utilities folder for the app. I still don't know if it should have automatically launched after download/install.

Thanks. It tells me it is up to date. So it must have just hung up.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Oh man...I just installed it, things seem good. I wish there was a way to test the freezing issue. Hopefully people will keep us up to date via this thread. I know I will.

"Bottom line is if in question, look in the Utilities folder for the app. I still don't know if it should have automatically launched after download/install."

Mine came on after I restarted for the 10.5.1 update. (downloaded both updates at once) I guess I would advise doing both at once if possible.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    I installed this update and 10.5.1 at the same time, since they both appeared in SU today. I just finished Age of Empires III in full-screen mode. I can't remember the last time I was able to *finish* an AOE3 game without the video freezing on me during the game, so this is very encouraging! If current trends continue I'll be one happy camper.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toxotes View Post

I installed this update and 10.5.1 at the same time, since they both appeared in SU today. I just finished Age of Empires III in full-screen mode. I can't remember the last time I was able to *finish* an AOE3 game without the video freezing on me during the game, so this is very encouraging! If current trends continue I'll be one happy camper.

Still using Tiger 10.4.11

Downloaded iMac 1.2.1 then firmware 1.0 everything seems to be working fine.

Just wanted to post for those still using Tiger.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    i applied the patch. the imac runs good now. my command and conquer used to always freeze,

so far its running good. and it doesnt feel like they slowed the card down
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toxotes View Post

Update: Just finished second game. No problems. Yaay!
  • Reply 20 of 53
    this tells apple never never go with ATI!

nVidia the way to go