Remote Desktop

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There is one thing i would really like to see Apple implement from the windows side and that is the remote desktop. If you've never seen it, it lets you access your desktop over any (PC) computer with Internet explorer. it basically turns the screen your sitting in front of, no matter where you are, into your screen at home. You can run all your programs, access your files, etc. It basically extents your monitor cable across the internet to wherever you are.

At school, there are a lot of kids who do this with XP. they just login to any school computer open IE, type their IP or host and login to their computer. Now they have access to all their apps and files (with no school security!). Its really one cool feature i would love to see OS X gain.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    VNC?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Its like VNC and i know there is some other program for the mac that does it. However whats 'nice' about windows is that its built in and that you dont need any special clients. you just use Internet explorer.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Is there a decent VNC server for the Mac?

I haven't been able to find one.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I agree on all counts. Timbuktu did it fairly well on OS 9, but not as well as Apple's network management tools did--and both of those were light years ahead of the relatively analog way that VNC works.

Groverat, not on OS X. There was one for OS 9, from the VNC peeps, it worked pretty good if you didn't hit it too hard and you disabled a few of the weird options.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    Try versiontracker.com it has a few nice ones.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dogcow:

<strong>However whats 'nice' about windows is that its built in and that you dont need any special clients.</strong><hr></blockquote>

cool! built-in? wow!

unix had that in the realy 90's already, iirc
  • Reply 7 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by xype:

<strong>

cool! built-in? wow!

unix had that in the realy 90's already, iirc </strong><hr></blockquote>

Still dosn't help the fact that the mac dosn't have it NOW.
  • Reply 8 of 22

<strong>

Still dosn't help the fact that the mac dosn't have it NOW.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am sure it's something being worked on now.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    xypexype Posts: 672member

<strong>Still dosn't help the fact that the mac dosn't have it NOW.</strong><hr></blockquote>

MacOS X is unix. Get X11 for OS X and you will have it.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Windows sucks! **** Windows!

When it comes out for the Mac it will be first on the Mac, Windows just copied it in the future.

Goddam Microsoft! **** Microsoft!

Sine:

I can't find any OSX VNC servers, only clients.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Windows sucks! **** Windows!

When it comes out for the Mac it will be first on the Mac, Windows just copied it in the future.

Goddam Microsoft! **** Microsoft!

<hr></blockquote></strong>

Uh.. more extreme bizarro situations here grover? No one said this. Your being delusional and paranoid.

[quote]<strong>

Sine:

I can't find any OSX VNC servers, only clients.

<hr></blockquote></strong>

Run any *NIX servers. They run natively on OS X.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    No one said it?

I could swear I did.

ah, the *nix stuffs. Care to point me to one that doesn't require Terminal entries? (I won't be back to the OSX boxes until Jan. 10th so there's no hurry)
  • Reply 13 of 22
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    so much for the mac way.

people suggest a feature now and people just respond saying there is a UNIX app that does the same thing. no need for it
  • Reply 15 of 22
    There's been talk of hooks in Quartz for distributed graphics, similar to X Windows. This could lead to slim Mac-clients for one (lots of RAM, a graphics card and .. well.. nothing more), but also remote desktop like WinXP.

It the talk is true it will be a more powerful model than WinXPs 'cause you can choose to run apps locally or remote transparently at the same time, just like X Windows.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Henriok:

<strong>There's been talk of hooks in Quartz for distributed graphics, similar to X Windows. This could lead to slim Mac-clients for one (lots of RAM, a graphics card and .. well.. nothing more), but also remote desktop like WinXP.

It the talk is true it will be a more powerful model than WinXPs 'cause you can choose to run apps locally or remote transparently at the same time, just like X Windows.</strong><hr></blockquote>

According to an Apple engineer I talked to way back when OS X was first shown, Quartz could be made to do stuff over the network. Whether or not it actually does do it is another question. Isn't there a class browser for Obj-C somewhere? Now that school's out I'm getting bored...
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I have heard that Apple Network Assistant will be available for OS X soon. Perhaps they will rename it "iControl" and bundle it for X?

I use NA 4.0.3 on 50 OS 9.x Macs at my work. I cant live without it! It is great. A life-saver!

I have not seen the XP remote app yet, but I bet it is cool. "PC Anywhere" and "Timbuktu" are killer apps!

I see a bright future is "shadowing"...
  • Reply 18 of 22
    hekalhekal Posts: 117member
    VNC is far too slow.

[quote]Originally posted by catalyst:

<strong>VNC?</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 19 of 22

<strong>There is one thing i would really like to see Apple implement from the windows side and that is the remote desktop. If you've never seen it, it lets you access your desktop over any (PC) computer with Internet explorer. it basically turns the screen your sitting in front of, no matter where you are, into your screen at home. You can run all your programs, access your files, etc. It basically extents your monitor cable across the internet to wherever you are.

At school, there are a lot of kids who do this with XP. they just login to any school computer open IE, type their IP or host and login to their computer. Now they have access to all their apps and files (with no school security!). Its really one cool feature i would love to see OS X gain.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just out of interest what kind of bandwidth are we talking here? Is this from school to a dorm

over ethernet or something similar ?

VNC is kind of challenging over 56k modem. You can do it if you set the colour to 8 bits and you have something you really want to do but its too slow to just work on the remote machine. At work from one machine to another over 100 meg ethernet its pretty good but has a lag.

Back in the 9 days I used to own Timbuktu - it was good and had neat features like suppressing the background picture on the remote machine. I haven't upgraded it to X yet. Its kind of pricey.

How does Timbuktu X compare to VNC ?

Thanks - Michael
  • Reply 20 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by xype:

<strong>

MacOS X is unix. Get X11 for OS X and you will have it. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Not true. You will have access only to the X11 apps running on the Mac. ie the UNIX stuff. You won't be able to see any if the quartz GUI

or usual mac apps.

Michael