how should i format my external hard drive (disk utility)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I want to be able to copy all my media from my mac hard drive to my external so that when i run boot camp I can access all of my media on my external and play it in windows. Is this possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    yes..
  • Reply 2 of 3
    wow thats a really use full answer....thanks so much for answering my question.

could someone explain to me how do to this? im not sure which format to make my external etc. I want to read it in windows so i cant format it to the mac format, but if i do that i cant write to it so i dont know what to do.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post

wow thats a really use full answer....thanks so much for answering my question.

could someone explain to me how do to this? im not sure which format to make my external etc. I want to read it in windows so i cant format it to the mac format, but if i do that i cant write to it so i dont know what to do.

You can either do it in two ways.

The first is to format it using HFS+ and when running Windows using Macdrive; the alternative is to format it using Fat32.

If you go Fat32, I have found the performance with Mac OS X pretty average - but the flip side if you go HFS+, MacDrive will set you back a few bucks.

In the end, I went with HFS+ and bought MacDrive, works wunderfully with Vista and XP.