Virus protection...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What are you people using for virus protection? I've been using Virex 6.1 for OS 9. However, McAfee's attention to OS X users seems to be a little lame.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    to be honest, i haven't heard of ANY os x native antivirus package. i don't know if antiviral apps can scan from within the classic "bubble," either.

i own both virusbarrier and norton systemworks, but i like systemworks simply because i know any viral threat on the loose will be caught by SARC (symantec antiviral resource center? i think that's it). haven't used virex in ages, though i liked it back in the day. virus barrier is funky... i like it, but i would not buy it on its own. buy it as part of casady & greene's mac care unit -- the best value utility package out there.

the worst seems to be techtool's antivirus check. i love techtool, but their antivirus updates ONLY come via techtool updates (i.e. 3.0.1 to 3.0.3, and so on). and their list of virii checked seems kinda skimpy, imho.

i've heard norton utilities and antivirus are in beta for os x now, so keep your fingers crossed for a macworld debut.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by breakskull:

<strong>What are you people using for virus protection? I've been using Virex 6.1 for OS 9. However, McAfee's attention to OS X users seems to be a little lame.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You use virus software?

Heh..

Never in my life...

:cool:
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Not everyone can be a cool Poochie...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    There is an OSX version of Virex. But unlike the 9 version it doesn't auto scan disks etc. So it's a bit crippled.