A meaty mac problem.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello peoples,

My mac froze a week ago. Mac support helped me clear the problem, but it still wont boot up properly. It just sits at the grey screen.

Apple support suggested I transfer my hard drive to another Mac (using a firewire cable) and wipe my mac and start again.

Fair enough.

Although, whats my best option?

1) Could I use my ipod as an external hard drive? (clearing an ipod manually?)

2) I 'could' do it myself, but Im kinda scared I'd fuck it up.

3) There's a MAC store near by. I'm sure they could do it. For a huge fee.

Any ideas?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groovemike View Post

My mac froze a week ago. Mac support helped me clear the problem, but it still wont boot up properly. It just sits at the grey screen.

If you hold down command-v at boot, see if there is a piece of text that shows up telling you where it's getting stuck. Also try doing a safe boot holding the shift key.

Quote:

Apple support suggested I transfer my hard drive to another Mac (using a firewire cable) and wipe my mac and start again.

You don't need another Mac if it's easier, you can use your installer to install OS X onto your ipod and then boot form it and transfer your data to it.

Quote:

1) Could I use my ipod as an external hard drive? (clearing an ipod manually?)

Yes. If it only has USB and you have the older PPC model of computer, you likely can't boot from it. If it's firewire or you have an intel machine, it's fine.

Quote:

2) I 'could' do it myself, but Im kinda scared I'd fuck it up.

What you might want to try is an archive install from your installer DVD:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

This will replace your system folder and leave your data alone.