Mac Pro help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi I'm looking at getting a Mac Pro, but my buddy says they are too expensive and lack top hardware (Graphic card and Ram) He said it worth looking at getting a PC that runs Mac OSX. Im not sure what to do.

Ive got an old G5 Mac and a year old Macbook but im looking at something with more power as Im going into a career in Design. Im looking at about £3500-£4000 as my budget with a dual screen. Any ideas are most welcome?

O and are Mac Pros easy to upgrade? (for future reference)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Willbo87 View Post

Hi I'm looking at getting a Mac Pro, but my buddy says they are too expensive and lack top hardware (Graphic card and Ram) He said it worth looking at getting a PC that runs Mac OSX. Im not sure what to do.

Ive got an old G5 Mac and a year old Macbook but im looking at something with more power as Im going into a career in Design. Im looking at about £3500-£4000 as my budget with a dual screen. Any ideas are most welcome?

O and are Mac Pros easy to upgrade? (for future reference)

Buy a Mac Pro with 1GB of Ram, then add ram from a 3rd party source - super cheap. The only top hardware they lack is the graphics cards. If you can you should definitely wait until january (could happen earlier), by then new Mac Pros should be released with a processor bump, probably a ram price decrease, and definitely some better cards (8800 series at least). And yes Mac Pros are super easy to upgrade. If you can use velcro, you can upgrade anything in it. I would steer away from getting a PC that runs OS X - first off you would probably have to get a non-legit copy and there would be a lot of rules that you are breaking. It works from what I've heard but I've also heard that people have a lot of problems with it. I have an Octo-core 3GHz Mac Pro, 4GB Ram, x1900 XT 512MB, 1250GB storage, and dual dvd drives - it's above and beyond the fastest computer I've ever used. It soars. You should get one.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Buy a Mac Pro with 1GB of Ram, then add ram from a 3rd party source - super cheap. The only top hardware they lack is the graphics cards. If you can you should definitely wait until january (could happen earlier), by then new Mac Pros should be released with a processor bump, probably a ram price decrease, and definitely some better cards (8800 series at least). And yes Mac Pros are super easy to upgrade. If you can use velcro, you can upgrade anything in it. I would steer away from getting a PC that runs OS X - first off you would probably have to get a non-legit copy and there would be a lot of rules that you are breaking. It works from what I've heard but I've also heard that people have a lot of problems with it. I have an Octo-core 3GHz Mac Pro, 4GB Ram, x1900 XT 512MB, 1250GB storage, and dual dvd drives - it's above and beyond the fastest computer I've ever used. It soars. You should get one.

Cheers for the info! I think I will wait till MacExpo! I was looking at getting one and adding cheaper Ram and a much better graphics card. I shall play the waiting game and hopefully they will bring out a redesigned version + a new cinema display!