Buying My First Apple i Mac - What Should I check..?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am going to buy my first Mac computer ever an Apple iMac and ive been told by the Apple reseller I can try out the machine

I am buying in the shop before taking it home.. so here?s my question , taking into consideration ive never had an Apple Mac Machine

before , can some one please tell me what to look for when the new iMac is set up and running in the shop , can you suggest a

list of things to check out on the machine , to hopefully spot any possible problems before the machine leaves the shop..?

I know that may be a problem could occur in the future when ive taken the new machine home , but with all ive read about some

of the current / fixed problems some Mac buyers have had , It would make me feel better if I could as least try out my new Mac

in the shop first. I look forward to the advice that should make me feel a bit better about taking my

new Mac home for the first time.

thanks in Advance ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Hi saim,

A couple of things to look for in the shop:

*Dead Pixels, they will be black if there dead. My friend has a couple on his new iMac.

*Bad coloring on the screen, there's been story's of people bringing home a new iMac and finding that one side of the screen is more yellowish and the other side is normal, just keep an eye out.

*Noises coming from the inside of the iMac, it's totally possible that there could be a fan or something that wasn't put in place while being built. (i've never heard of anyone who had a problem like this though, just to be safe though.)

That should be good

Parker
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Hi smee..

Thanks for your reply, its much appreciated and I look forward to

getting my first Mac..

siam
  • Reply 3 of 6
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

*Dead Pixels, they will be black if there dead. My friend has a couple on his new iMac.

That's not true, dead/stuck pixels can be of other colors too. My old screen had 1 bright pink one.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yes. A pixel can be stuck/dead/bright etc. Basically a bright pink, green, orange pixel, sometimes it may be dark.

You should check out:

http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixels.html

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7669
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    dead pixels are always black.

stuck pixels are... em... stuck in one color
  • Reply 6 of 6
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    My bad, I didn't know they could be different colors.

I've been corrected