Mac OS X upgrade question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have 2 Mac's at this point. I have a new 2ghz Mac Mini and a 800mhz G3 ibook. I just purchased Lepard and installed it on my Mac Mini. (Which it is running great.) My question is this. I would like to upgrade my ibook from Panther to Tiger. Could I use the Mac Mini restore disc to do this? I would think it would be legal, since I'm no longer using Tiger on my Mac Mini. It the restore disc specifically written for the Mac Mini?

I hope this makes sense.

Abel Jeffcoat

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajeffcoat View Post

I have 2 Mac's at this point. I have a new 2ghz Mac Mini and a 800mhz G3 ibook. I just purchased Lepard and installed it on my Mac Mini. (Which it is running great.) My question is this. I would like to upgrade my ibook from Panther to Tiger. Could I use the Mac Mini restore disc to do this? I would think it would be legal, since I'm no longer using Tiger on my Mac Mini. It the restore disc specifically written for the Mac Mini?

I hope this makes sense.

Abel Jeffcoat

Hi ajeffcoat,

The back up discs might work with the ibook or it might not.

Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but the back up discs were made for an Intel machines.

So it may not work, but it's worth a try.

Pop in the disc and let me know,

Parker
  • Reply 2 of 3
    My experience has been that the "restore disks" that come with a new machine are particular to that type of hardware... you can TRY though, it'll just tell you that the disk "won't work with this computer."
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

.... you can TRY though, ...

It is not worth trying. It is well-known that System Restore discs are specific to the model that they shipped with.