Return of the real Apple Menu !!!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The guys at <a href="http://www.unsanity.com"; target="_blank">Unsanity</a> have made a third incredible haxie : FruitMenu. It brings back the ability to fully customize the Apple Menu, insert whatever file or folder as a submenu (Application folder, mmmmh...), organize the hierarchy and the order of items, rename the items as you like, and more !

You can have it here : <a href="http://www.unsanity.com/haxies.php"; target="_blank">www.unsanity.com/haxies.php</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I retract my previous comment...

After trying this out for a while, I must admit that it's pretty nifty!

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    A few months ago I would've loved something like this. Now I'm so used to putting stuff I would've put in the Apple Menu in the Dock.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I agree, my habits have changed and I have to say I like the Dock better than the Apple Menu, as it requires less mouse activity to get the same result. Although the more Haxie's, the merrier, I will admit. Everyone's habits are different.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    I've liked the Dock over the Apple Menu since day one. I never really liked the Apple Menu that well.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, I would add the Favorites Folder to the new Apple menu, but otherwise, yeah, Dock it and hope for SLF in the Dock too.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>hope for SLF in the Dock too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Damn right! The ability to drag and drop a file into a folder in the Dock is a big freaking oversight! on Apple's part.

SLF rules!
  • Reply 7 of 10

I've had several Apple menus in OS X from day one. Just fill a folder with aliases, give it a custom icon, and drop it in the dock. Instant Apple menu. I have one for Apps, one for Utilities, one for Games, and one for documents. They are more organized than an Apple menu could be, and by having several apple menus, I have less navigating to do.

OS X rules, but you've got to open your mind and stop trying to do everything as if you were working in OS 9. The GUI for OS X is both different and better, but to see the good side of it one must become used to it. Give yourself a few weeks and all will be well.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Tried it. Didn't like it at all. And I think it somehow messed up my permissions... (I had a ton of problems with permissions right after installing it. :confused: ) I prefer the long toolbar in a finder window in column view to get around and my apps and documents in the dock. It's a TON easier than navigating to the apple menu folder or screwing around with that haxie (what kind of a stupid name is that??)

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: torifile ]

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 10
    [quote] The ability to drag and drop a file into a folder in the Dock is a big freaking oversight! <hr></blockquote>

Hold onto your butt and keep your balls untangled, this feature will soon be implemented, along with spring-loaded folders.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I like this Apple Menu haxie OK, but the dock is really fine with me. The thing I like better is the Windowshading haxie these guys did.