One speaker is louder than the other

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Perhaps this is more of an audio question but I have a pair of Harmon Kardon Soundsticks connected to my Mac. It is full volume out of one speaker but very low volume out of the other. The same thing happens if I plug the speakers into an iPod. But I don't think the speaker is broken, because if I change my balance in System Preferences to favor the weaker speaker I can get them to be the same volume if I turn the volume high.

I can't swap speakers between ports because each speaker has a different connector. I did notice that when I unplug the working speaker (which is the one with the volume controls on it), then there will be no sound from the other speaker or the bass (subwoofer?), but perhaps that is normal. There's no cables I can see that are detachable to replace.

Anyone had this problem before and can tell me whether it's just a bad speaker? Perhaps the speaker connection part is not good and there is some chemical you can spray in there to get a better connection. Sorry if this post is dumb but I don't know much about audio.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    batbat Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler View Post

Perhaps this is more of an audio question but I have a pair of Harmon Kardon Soundsticks connected to my Mac. It is full volume out of one speaker but very low volume out of the other. The same thing happens if I plug the speakers into an iPod. But I don't think the speaker is broken, because if I change my balance in System Preferences to favor the weaker speaker I can get them to be the same volume if I turn the volume high.

I can't swap speakers between ports because each speaker has a different connector. I did notice that when I unplug the working speaker (which is the one with the volume controls on it), then there will be no sound from the other speaker or the bass (subwoofer?), but perhaps that is normal. There's no cables I can see that are detachable to replace.

Anyone had this problem before and can tell me whether it's just a bad speaker? Perhaps the speaker connection part is not good and there is some chemical you can spray in there to get a better connection. Sorry if this post is dumb but I don't know much about audio.

Prefs - sound - output - balance
  • Reply 2 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler View Post

More than likely you've got a bad contact somewhere. There is, in fact, stuff called "contact cleaner" designed to safely remove corrosion or contaminants from electrical connections. You need to make sure you get one that is safe for plastics. Radio Shack has some, can't vouch for it, but you can pick some up at Home Depot as well.

I would start with the volume control on the one speaker, then do anywhere else that you can get at-- unfortunately, this only works if the problem is corrosion or contamination, and can't help if there is a mechanical failure of some kind.

Since it sounds like all the cabling is built in, that's more of a problem, but: start by "working" everyplace something disappears into something else (take a bit of the cable closest to the case part and move it around a bit) while some music is on, to see if you can isolate where the problem is. Don't forget to work the stereo mini connector where things plug in to your speaker-- that is often a point of failure, and if you have any soldering skills you likely could replace that (assuming the case part come open in any way). Actually, if you have any soldering skills and the cases of things open up you can likely repair anything short of a bad amp.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Awesome, thanks. I will get the contact cleaner and try that. I did see the System Preference for speaker balance. It's kind of a pain but for some reason when I reboot the Mac it does not remember that preference and just returns it to equal balance. Of course I want to get it working properly anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I forgot to say that (assuming the volume is controlled by a rotary dial) you should pull the knob off and spray the contact cleaner onto the bare shaft. Hold the speaker so that it can run down the shaft into the actual potentiometer, then work the volume knob back and forth for a while, so if there is corrosion across those contacts the friction of the mechanism has a chance to work the cleaner in. Doesn't hurt to do this a couple of times.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    double post