Annoying .Mac sync problems

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Since I upgraded to Leopard (or so it seems), I seem to be getting these "errors" all the time:

Not so much an error in itself, but whatever I do to resolve the situation, the same dialogue will come up approximately half an hour later, and then again half an hour after that, and so on. It's like Abort, Retry, Fail? days all over again!

I do use Plaxo alongside .Mac and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Maybe it's time to give up .Mac, it doesn't seem to do the job half as well as Plaxo anyway!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Since I upgraded to Leopard (or so it seems), I seem to be getting these "errors" all the time:

Not so much an error in itself, but whatever I do to resolve the situation, the same dialogue will come up approximately half an hour later, and then again half an hour after that, and so on. It's like Abort, Retry, Fail? days all over again!

I do use Plaxo alongside .Mac and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Maybe it's time to give up .Mac, it doesn't seem to do the job half as well as Plaxo anyway!

I was having the same problem and more with my Leopard install.

At first I thought it was because I did the upgrade. So I tried an Archive and Install.

I still had issues and then discovered 3 things.

1. Logitech - I had the logitech control center installed for my mouse. It does not work with Leopard.

2. Keychain - use Keychain access and try and repair your keychain this could be causing the problem. Also you may need to migrate everything over to your login keychain. If you'be been using OS X for a few years you may have the old keychain based on your username. A while back Apple switched to a keychain named login, but the old keychain isn't deleted. This can cause problems. Listen to Mac Geek Gab #126 http://www.macobserver.com/podcast/ they talk about migrating everything to one keychain named Login.

I also tried booting up once in Safe mode (restart and hold shift until you get to the login screen. Then reboot regularly. I'm not sure what this does, but I believe it forces the system to delete and rebuild some cache folders.

At anyrate; I did all of the above and my Leopard install is now playing nice with .Mac and sync.

~ Brian
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for the tip-off. Looking at my Keychain Access, I have four chains, only one of which is unlocked - "login". I have well over 200 items in that keychain. It seems to be the only real one for personal use. However the others are: Microsoft_Intermediate_Certificates, FileVaultMaster and System. There's also a "System Roots" which has a slightly different logo.

So maybe I'm okay? It doesn't look as if I need to merge any of those Keychains, does it?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the tip-off. Looking at my Keychain Access, I have four chains, only one of which is unlocked - "login". I have well over 200 items in that keychain. It seems to be the only real one for personal use. However the others are: Microsoft_Intermediate_Certificates, FileVaultMaster and System. There's also a "System Roots" which has a slightly different logo.

So maybe I'm okay? It doesn't look as if I need to merge any of those Keychains, does it?

No. Looks like your keychains are OK. You could try highlighting your Login keychain

and then clicking "Keychain First Aid." That's located under Keychain Access menu at the top of the screen on the menubar. You may need to unlock the keychain first. It's possible that your keychain is corrupted and that may fix the problem.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Okay - I did that but (un)fortunately it verified with no problems.

Maybe it's just the clash with Plaxo...?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    I wiped my 867 G4 Tibook and did a fresh install as well as a 2nd drive on my home dual G5 2Ghz. I migrated data over on the G5 from the Tiger HD.

At work I'm on 10.4.11 until 10.5 gets sorted out.

I still have not been able to sync (reset sync data from the .mac) on either 10.5 installs. the powerbook got some of my contacts but only the emails. No iCal on either install. I reset my .Sync data from my work G5.

I finally turned off auto sync on the laptop and desktop (manual now) because of the constant sync window (shown above poping up.

-----> nice....
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I guess this is one for the Apple comments drop box (aka "Trash")