Connect macbook wirelessly to PC Printer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have my pc directly connected to a printer, that i have my laptop wireleselly set up to print to. I am in the process of doing this for my father as well- who owns an IBM. This part is easy, there is always a pc connected to this printer, and both computers connected wirelessly are PC's. However, to get the macbook working, I am not sure how to do that.

Any suggestions? software? etc.?

I would rather not buy some wireless hardware just for network printing, especially sense I don't see the point, the family isn't printing every 10 minutes. Just not worth it if you ask me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lbjandai View Post

I have my pc directly connected to a printer, that i have my laptop wireleselly set up to print to. I am in the process of doing this for my father as well- who owns an IBM. This part is easy, there is always a pc connected to this printer, and both computers connected wirelessly are PC's. However, to get the macbook working, I am not sure how to do that.

Any suggestions? software? etc.?

I would rather not buy some wireless hardware just for network printing, especially sense I don't see the point, the family isn't printing every 10 minutes. Just not worth it if you ask me.

What printer do you have?

I have an HP deskjet 6980 that I print to wirelessly from my MBP. I just installed the drivers and was ready to go. I did not purchase any additional hw(except for wireless router) or sw.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dell photo AIO printer 944
  • Reply 3 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

dell photo AIO printer 944

does it have mac drivers? If it does you should be able to get it to work. Can you find the disk with drivers to see if mac drivers are there? If not you could check the dell website.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    no mac drivers...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

no mac drivers...

You're out of luck. Did you check the dell website by chance?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    You could use the CUPS drivers as a last ditch effort, but from doing a bit of search on Google, Linux users have trouble with this printer as well.

------------

Alternatively, invest in something like http://www.traction-software.co.uk/batchprint/

Have the software monitor a network share folder on the PC connected to the printer. Print as PDF from the Macintosh and save to that network share. The sofware running on the PC will pick it up and print it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    One last thought. Doesn't Lexmark make these printers for Dell? If so it may be possible to contact Lexmark and get drivers from them. Its a longshot but who knows..