New Ultra Portable

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I want to get a new MB for christmas but I dont know if Apple will bring out a new one about 3 weeks afterwards. I have heard that they may be released at the the Mac Expo. On the UK Apple store there is a buy now pay later deal going that ends 14th Jan - a day before the expo. Is this a pre-warning?

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Depending on what the ultraportable consists of, it could cost much more than a macbook. January isn't that far away, you can wait a bit longer if you'd like.

I'm kinda in the same boat.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac23 View Post

I want to get a new MB for christmas but I dont know if Apple will bring out a new one about 3 weeks afterwards.

I don't see the wisdom in buying Apple computer hardware for Christmas if the potential new technologies coming on line are important to you. I say potential because no body knows for sure what is coming at Mac World 2008. That being said I'd argue against a MB update, as has been mentioned there are rumors of other machines in the pipeline. So maybe a MB for Christmas isn't all that bad.

Quote:

I have heard that they may be released at the the Mac Expo. On the UK Apple store there is a buy now pay later deal going that ends 14th Jan - a day before the expo. Is this a pre-warning?

It could very well be a warning, but it doesn't imply that the MB specifically will get updated. The problem is it is impossible for anybody to give you specific answers with respect to what is and isn't getting updated/replaced.

For example I have a very good feeling that he Mini will get blown out of the water by something new. That is based on the units total lack of a reasonable refresh in ages and the fact that it doesn't meet the needs of the average user.. The MB on the other hand was just refreshed. So the question I would have to ask does the special cover all hardware or just the MB?

The most significant rumor going around with respect to MW2008 is that there will be much more focus on Macs at this years MW. That should be a significant consideration and could mean new Macs or lots of peripherals. It might also mean that the machines that get updated are the pro lines. Every thing is in place for new servers and Mac Pros as Intel's new processors are on the market right now.

Quote:

Cheers

Best of luck with your decision. Personally at this late date I'd just stick it out until after MW2008 and make a decision based on what is learned there. Of course if you really need a PC go for what best fits your needs now.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 4
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Basic rule of thumb in regards to Apple hardware; never, NEVER, buy any Apple hardware before any of the regular yearly major Apple events. I would extend that to not buying anything for at least a month AFTER an event also, seems as of late Apple has had several invitation only events in the weeks following a major event?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Personally at this late date I'd just stick it out until after MW2008 and make a decision based on what is learned there.

Right. Same here. But if it includes a cell modem as you previously suggested, I hope it has sufficient bandwidth for video