Macbook with only windows!

vikvik
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey All,

wonder if you could help me ...

My friend has a macbook with only windows in it. It doesn't have a dual boot setup so everytime I start the macbook it loads windows XP.

No the windows has crashed and it wouldn't start. I am trying to re-install windows to get it back up and running.

Now I am fairly new to Apple so please bear with me here...

I have a windows XP bootable cd. But it wouldn't start windows installation like it does on other intel based systems.

I tried pressing options+P+R while boot up. It sows three icons: MAC HD, Windows HD and Windows CD.

Anything I select it loads the existing windows...

I am okay to format the HD but I don't know how to do that on a macbook..

Please can you suggest ?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    This isn't windows insider, but for starters you'll need the Mac OS disc that came with the macbook.

Also, what is it with these "my friend needs help" threads? Are you ashamed to find help, or that you use windows only? Frankly, I can understand the latter, because if you had a mac os install it would be a lot easier to fix this.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I agree. Just wipe the hard drive and install OS X and then install windows with boot camp if you must.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    vikvik Posts: 2member
    Why would I be ashamed of asking for help ??? It's just that the laptop the guy gave me to fix has only windows on it. He did not give me a MAC OS cd so I was trying to figure out a way to do this with just a bootable windows cd.

So I must arrange for a Mac OS cd then ?

Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Also, what is it with these "my friend needs help" threads? Are you ashamed to find help, or that you use windows only?

I usually think that "my friend needs help" means "I stole this computer and can't use it".
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vik View Post

Why would I be ashamed of asking for help ??? It's just that the laptop the guy gave me to fix has only windows on it. He did not give me a MAC OS cd so I was trying to figure out a way to do this with just a bootable windows cd.

So I must arrange for a Mac OS cd then ?

There are a lot of advice threads that start with "my friend . . ." It's weird.

I've never used Boot Camp personally, but as far as I know there are no facilities in Windows for tinkering with it, which is why you'll need to get Mac OS on the macbook. Make sure also to tell your "friend" that he/she is an idiot.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Gezz it's not like he's saying, "My friend has this really bad rash..."

I echo what others have so nicely said. Just get an OS X cd and install that. If you want Windows use the bootcamp setup to make the mac partition small and reinstall windows on the other partition.

Macs are made to run Mac OS, not Windows. Bootcamp is like a nice little bonus add-on, but you still need OS X for your Mac to stay happy.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    YOu are probably running Mac OS 10.4, in whichcase the boot camp expired. If this happened, then a copy of Mac OS 10.5 is needed.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

Gezz it's not like he's saying, "My friend has this really bad rash..."

He did say his friend had a MB with only windows on it....

Pretty damn close if you ask me.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

YOu are probably running Mac OS 10.4, in whichcase the boot camp expired. If this happened, then a copy of Mac OS 10.5 is needed.

Technically the Boot Camp beta for Tiger does not expire until Dec. 31 of this year per Apple's notification system. Support will be cut off at THAT time.

So. . . call Apple and ask for help.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    wrong thread