My Leopard menu bar is showing up solid...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Shouldn't it be transparent/translucent? What's the deal with this? I have a relatively new iMac, so there shouldn't be any graphic card problems...

Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post

Shouldn't it be transparent/translucent? What's the deal with this? I have a relatively new iMac, so there shouldn't be any graphic card problems...

Anyone else have this issue?

is your background white?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Uhh... no. I'm not an idiot, my friend.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Did you get it from Apple or a reseller? Maybe they used the command to get rid of the transparency:

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables' -dict 'CI_NO_BACKGROUND_IMAGE' 1

If you want to test to see if the transparency works, use:

sudo defaults delete /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables'

There are some other commands here:

http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_fi...n-leopard.html
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Terminal says

"There is no (EnvironmentVariables) default for the (/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer) domain.

Defaults have not been changed.

"
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:

Uhh... no. I'm not an idiot, my friend.

i was just voicing my opinion. how am i to know whether or not you were a mactard?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    It's common sense. You weren't "voicing your opinion" - you were basically asking me if I was a complete moron or not.

Now, back to the crux of the matter: This seems to be the main problem. How does one go about fixing this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtIsLife

Terminal says

"There is no (EnvironmentVariables) default for the (/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer) domain.

Defaults have not been changed.

"

• Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Now, back to the crux of the matter: This seems to be the main problem. How does one go about fixing this?

All that message means is that the extra tag to turn off transparency wasn't there so the menu ought to be transparent. Try using this command:

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables' -dict 'CI_NO_BACKGROUND_IMAGE' 0

to make the menu grey. Once you have checked the menu bar is changing, use:

sudo defaults delete /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables'

and it should remove the variable you added above. If this still puts it back to white then the problem is somewhere else. There was a program that came out not long after the beta that made the menubar white too and it runs in the background. I can't remember if this was it or not:

http://www.eternalstorms.at/utilitie...bar/index.html
  • Reply 8 of 33
    I did what you told me to do exactly, and my bar is STILL gray.

It was never white to begin with, it's been solid gray since I got it.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

I did what you told me to do exactly, and my bar is STILL gray.

It was never white to begin with, it's been solid gray since I got it.

Check this out it may help you.....

http://www.eternalstorms.at/utilitie...bar/index.html
  • Reply 10 of 33
    It doesn't change anything. I've already tried using that app. It can't change it back to translucent if it wasn't translucent to begin with.

Here's a screenshot of my desktop so you guys can see the problem/what it looks like/etc

http://i5.tinypic.com/8am3vr4.png

As you can see, everything else that's supposed to be translucent/transparent IS. (The dock, the right click drop menu)

And nothing happened after I entered the commands in Terminal. I rebooted, but still nothing.

;/
  • Reply 11 of 33
    try

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables' -dict 'BACKGROUND_IMAGE' 0

because thats what i did when i turned mine a solid color and it turned back
  • Reply 12 of 33
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    This may be your problem.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306894

Quote:

Your Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard menu bar may appear solid in color, instead of translucent.

The translucent Leopard menu bar appears on most computers that are equipped with a graphics card which is compatible with Core Image.

Some graphics cards, such as an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, may not have the necessary OpenGL capabilities to display a translucent menu bar even though they are compatible with Core Image. Those cards should render most effects, but not the translucent menu bar.

What kind of graphics card do you have on your iMac?

Judging by your screenshot, you're running in 1680x1050. I've seen people mention that the menu bar became transparent after lowering the screen resolution, perhaps indicating that there is some kind of limitation based on how much VRAM the card has. Try lowering to 1024x768 and rebooting.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    I'm not sure what the video card is. I have a 2006 Intel Core Duo iMac, though. Isn't the GeForce FX 5200 only on the G5? I know other people with the same computer as me that don't have this problem.

Bonsai, it didn't work, either.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

I'm not sure what the video card is. I have a 2006 Intel Core Duo iMac, though. Isn't the GeForce FX 5200 only on the G5? I know other people with the same computer as me that don't have this problem.

try re-installing leopard?
  • Reply 15 of 33
    I'm hoping it wouldn't have to come to that, and it would be a gigantic waste of time if it doesn't work, wouldn't it?

Anywho, are there any 3rd party apps that allow you to edit the menu bar? (Maybe I could make it translucent via one of these?)
  • Reply 16 of 33
    On a totally unrelated note, where can I score that hot desktop pic of NY?
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

click on the apple up on the menu then

about this mac

then more info

then click on Graphics / Displays

you should see something like this:

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT:

Chipset ModeltNVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

TypetDisplay

BustPCIe

PCIe Lane Widthtx16

VRAM (Total)t256 MB

VendortNVIDIA (0x10de)

Device IDt0x0391

Revision IDt0x00a1

ROM Revisiont3022

Displays:

iMac:

Display TypetLCD

Resolutiont1920 x 1200

Deptht32-bit Color

Built-IntYes

Core ImagetHardware Accelerated

Main DisplaytYes

MirrortOff

OnlinetYes

Quartz ExtremetSupported

Display Connector:

StatustNo display connected
  • Reply 18 of 33
    here's a sort of off topic question: why is it necessary to have a translucent menubar? i mean, its just an aesthetic thing..
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

It's probably the Radeon X1600, which should be fine with the menu bar.

Here's the hack that I mentioned earlier, download the dmg and check if that's been installed somewhere:

http://www.manytricks.com/blog/?id=14

btw, when you post a screenshot, compress it in Photoshop or similar and usually shrink it to 1024 or 800 wide. 800 wide for inline images. That above screenshot was 2MB, which takes much longer to upload and also to view. Aim for 500k maximum. You probably know this and were just posting quickly but I thought I'd mention it.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    That app won't work either.