Strange Finder cpu usage!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Selecting a movie in a Finder window leads to a constant cpu usage by the Finder only of about 10% according to top run from terminal.

I mean just selecting it, not playing the movie inside a Finder window. I did this right now and switched to IE while top shows still 5-8% during the last minute.

Now deselecting the movie.....Finder falls to zero, nada, 0% exactly.

Strange.

Anyone with an explanation?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    I get the same behaviour.

Could it be that the finder is constantly buffering the .mov for smoother playback?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    This only seems to happen to me when i select a movie in column mode. Assumably the cpu usage comes from generating the preview. Having a movie selected in list or icon mode does not seem to take any cpu time.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    katekate Posts: 172member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cosmo:

<strong> Assumably the cpu usage comes from generating the preview.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So it must be generating the preview in an infinite loop because this seems never to stop. (Tested for 10 min.) The preview usually gets displayed in a few seconds.

The Finder is a heap of mystery and still half baked stuff it seems to me. In certain situations it also leaves tracks of borderlines behind in underlying windows....
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    Well, I just tried this for myself and got a really strange behavior.

When selecting a movie in column mode, the cpu usage of the Finder jumps to about 25% for a second or two (depending on the size of the movie), then just having the file selected the cpu uses only .9 to 1.8% cpu. Here's the strange part.: When playing a movie in column view, the Finder cpu usage jumps to anywhere from 90% to (and I'm not lying here) 130%!!!!. :eek: :eek: :eek:

How can something hog 130% of a processor?

Riddles are abound tonight.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by kaboom:

<strong>How can something hog 130% of a processor?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Simple: you have dual processors (200%).
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    hehehhhe.

starfeeltX is correct.

I really do think it's buffering, though.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

Simple: you have dual processors (200%).<hr></blockquote>Nope. Just one 867mhz G4.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: kaboom ]</p>