How To: Mac Mini RAM Upgrade

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    does it work for the dual core intel 1.66ghz?

help plz
  • Reply 22 of 78
    Okay, it's obvious that I'm technically challenged, but I would like to buy the least expensive Mac Mini and do the upgrades myself. Is this logical?

If so, what is the most basic Mini I should buy? I hate optioning all the upgrades at inflated prices at time of purchase.

So, buying guidelines, please! 1.83GHz or 2.00? Should I get the least RAM available and then put in 2GB(2X1) or 4GB(2X2)?

Anything else I need to consider?

I want to keep the initial purchase low so I can get a router and wireless keyboard etc. Times are tough, even for Apple fans

By the way, I'm now on an old Dell CPU and running Win XP. UGH!!!! It was given to me, so I can't complain too loudly, but I'm sure looking forward to getting back to Apple.

Thanks for any/all suggestions.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    If you could wait...the MacMini should be updated soon. How soon is up in the air but some items suggest it will be updated soon.

If you must buy now...I'd go for the 2 GHz model for the SuperDrive (DVDRW). The cheaper model ships with a DVD/CDRW Combo Drive and it would be foolish to get a cheap MacMini and then update it with a DVDRW. Just get the model with the DVDRW Drive. Typically I'd say not to get the RAM from Apple however if you don't feel like you can get the MacMini open without breaking it to upgrade the RAM it may be a better option. Otherwise you can get RAM from some place like crucial.com, newegg.com, 4allmemory.com

Realize that MacMini's ship with notebook hard drives so you're limited with what you can do there without spending a whole bunch of money.

But I would really wait and see if Apple updates the MacMini...you will be glad you did. You would be getting a much better computer.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    MacXpress

Thanks for the info. I thought I had read something about possible Mini updates, but then the Expo came and went, and no update. But I will wait awhile to see if it occurs (I REALLY want to ditch this Dell).

And as far as the RAM goes, I don't think I will have a problem doing that exchange. I have some great small art tools, thin screwdrivers etc. that should work great. And I'm fearless enough to open up a brand new computer and tinker. I learned "data processing" on machines that were as big as a whole floor of a house. We used to have to rewire the boards with cords to do any functions at all (I just gave away my age). I also bought one of the first Macintosh models and also bought Apple stock when they went public. I was considered slightly nuts then. :-}

Hope the Mini updates soon.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanne101 View Post

MacXpress

Thanks for the info. I thought I had read something about possible Mini updates, but then the Expo came and went, and no update. But I will wait awhile to see if it occurs (I REALLY want to ditch this Dell).

And as far as the RAM goes, I don't think I will have a problem doing that exchange. I have some great small art tools, thin screwdrivers etc. that should work great. And I'm fearless enough to open up a brand new computer and tinker. I learned "data processing" on machines that were as big as a whole floor of a house. We used to have to rewire the boards with cords to do any functions at all (I just gave away my age). I also bought one of the first Macintosh models and also bought Apple stock when they went public. I was considered slightly nuts then. :-}

Hope the Mini updates soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if by Feb/March there will be some kind of Apple announcement. Whether or not its a MacMini...dunno.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Yesterday I finished upgrading my mini with a Kingston HyperX 4GB Kit found on Newegg for ~$45. We bought the mini refurbished from Apple in January 2009. As far as I can tell, they must have changed something (maybe the chipset?), because my mini recognizes all 4GB. The performance improvement is remarkable.

• Reply 27 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acrossthedesert View Post

Yesterday I finished upgrading my mini with a Kingston HyperX 4GB Kit found on Newegg for ~$45. We bought the mini refurbished from Apple in January 2009. As far as I can tell, they must have changed something (maybe the chipset?), because my mini recognizes all 4GB. The performance improvement is remarkable.

Is there any way of finding out if the refurb was different from the typical Mini? I wonder if anyone has found this same situation.

It would be nice to know that if I put in 4G RAM(2X2) that it would all be usable. I like to squeeze out as much as I can from any upgrades Since I don't have an Apple now, what would you find if you hit the "more info" button in the About This Mac screen as shown in your post?
  • Reply 28 of 78
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    There is a difference between detecting 4GB of RAM and recognizing (using) it.

RAM Benchmarks for Apple Mac minis (macsales.com)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acrossthedesert View Post

• Reply 29 of 78
    zanne101zanne101 Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

If you could wait...the MacMini should be updated soon. How soon is up in the air but some items suggest it will be updated soon.

If you must buy now...I'd go for the 2 GHz model for the SuperDrive (DVDRW). The cheaper model ships with a DVD/CDRW Combo Drive and it would be foolish to get a cheap MacMini and then update it with a DVDRW. Just get the model with the DVDRW Drive. Typically I'd say not to get the RAM from Apple however if you don't feel like you can get the MacMini open without breaking it to upgrade the RAM it may be a better option. Otherwise you can get RAM from some place like crucial.com, newegg.com, 4allmemory.com

Realize that MacMini's ship with notebook hard drives so you're limited with what you can do there without spending a whole bunch of money.

But I would really wait and see if Apple updates the MacMini...you will be glad you did. You would be getting a much better computer.

Well, I didn't buy as planned (life got in the way \), but it looks like you were right on the mark. New Mac Minis are supposed to be out this (?) week. Prices look good too. Thanks for the previous input - glad I waited.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Does anyone know if this changed with the new macmini?

I am looking forward to buy one.

If I buy the 1Gb version, will it come with two 512mb Ram Slots?
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _darwin View Post

Changes are minimal, allmost both version are identical and in mini 1 gb version, you will buy, is one 1 gb ddr3 1066 modul. I sugest you to buy 2x2 gb and put in new mini, you'll have better performance.

I'll order my new mini, but in Serbia, where I'm live, you have to be patient because my new mini will came next month. I will change 1 gb to 2x2 gb Crucial and 120 5400 to 320 7200 WD Scorpio Black.

Wish me luck.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _darwin View Post

What you need is a Mac Mini 2009 upgrade guide:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=96023

It comes with a single 1GB memory chip.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Combined with Marvin's guide, you two have done a great job. Thanks.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    lozzer17lozzer17 Posts: 3member
    Hi,

can anyone help? I thought I'd followed this useful guide to the letter, but having put it back together my mini won't boot. The power light comes on but there's no chime and it just makes whirring noises. Could it be the ram - (Corsair DDR2, 667 MHz 2x 256Mx64 non-ECC 200 SODIMM, Unbuffered, CL4 (VSA4GSDSKIT667C4) - or am I more likely to have have damaged something important?
  • Reply 35 of 78
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lozzer17 View Post

Hi,

can anyone help? I thought I'd followed this useful guide to the letter, but having put it back together my mini won't boot. The power light comes on but there's no chime and it just makes whirring noises. Could it be the ram - (Corsair DDR2, 667 MHz 2x 256Mx64 non-ECC 200 SODIMM, Unbuffered, CL4 (VSA4GSDSKIT667C4) - or am I more likely to have have damaged something important?

Welcome to AI.

Which Mini do you have?

"The mini’s Intel Core 2 Duo processor is now a 2.0GHz Penryn chip with a faster system bus (1,066MHz versus 667MHz) on both models."
  • Reply 36 of 78
    thanks for the reply,

I can't look at system profiler for obvious reasons, but I believe It's a 1.6 intel
  • Reply 37 of 78
    update - I put the old ram back in and all's well. So was it bad ram or the wrong kind? (it certainly wasn't the right kind for my unibody macbook, which is what i bought it for in the first place!)
  • Reply 38 of 78
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lozzer17 View Post

update - I put the old ram back in and all's well. So was it bad ram or the wrong kind? (it certainly wasn't the right kind for my unibody macbook, which is what i bought it for in the first place!)

What does the System Profiler indicate regarding the RAM?
  • Reply 39 of 78
    frankpfrankp Posts: 1member
    smee, thanks very much for your detailed instuctions and photos. They worked very well and I wouldn't have attempted the memory upgrade without them.

I did have a problem with excessive fan noise after re-assembly - my Mac mini had always been very quiet. After reading all sorts of articles around the web and in Apple's support pages which suggested either cleaning dust out of the fan (there wasn't any) or resetting the smc (which I did to no avail). I finally looked over your disassembly instructions again: I'd forgotten to re-attach the little black wire After opening up the case again and attaching it - hey presto fan noise gone.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Hi, found this howto really useful, best I found on the Mac Mini upgrade process. Had a little problem putting the top back on as the metal clips on the ports back board didn't line up properly with the top as I put the top on a little squint, but I removed the top and tried again with everything lined up nice and square. No probs.

My wife's Mac Mini really flies now. With the base 512MB, Safari took about 25s to load, with 2GB now less than 10s to load (I guess it must have been using virtual memory?) and everything nips along nicely now.

Thanks for taking the time to post this howto.