GOOD News for OSX

synsyn
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/jan/09tribble.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/jan/09tribble.html</a>;

Apple has (re)hired Dr. Guy (Bud) Tribble, the guy who managed the original Mac Software team. He recently worked for Eazel.

This could mean great things as far "macifying" OSX more. I think he could bring new UI paradigms to OSX, and could be the driving force behind a return to better meta-data etc.

He could also influence an eventual Open-Finder.

All in all, good news IMO. Does anybody here know more about the guy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by SYN:

<strong>This could mean great things as far "macifying" OSX more.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't get your hopes up:

"Tribble also helped found NeXT Computer, where he was vice president of Software Engineering and a key architect of the NextStep operating system."
  • Reply 2 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    That is good news.

He's assuming such a large mantle that it's hard to say exactly what impact he'll have, but it's definitely good to have one of the old hands on board, in an influential position.

It's also good that he's been in all three camps (Mac, NeXT, open-source) before.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Maybe he'll light a fire there. APPLE MOVE FASTER!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>Maybe he'll light a fire there. APPLE MOVE FASTER!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought you wrote a few days ago that OS X was dead anyway? Why continue forward?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by LudwigVan:

<strong>

I thought you wrote a few days ago that OS X was dead anyway? Why continue forward?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I didn't write that. Maybe you can point to the thread and I'll remember what I wrote?

Changes to OS X are coming too slow. Apple is not moving fast enough. Issues linger. Needed software is a no show. Worst of all Apple wont give you the slightest idea on what to expect. Are the working on Software BaseStation? We don't know.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

<strong>

I didn't write that. Maybe you can point to the thread and I'll remember what I wrote?

Changes to OS X are coming too slow. Apple is not moving fast enough. Issues linger. Needed software is a no show. Worst of all Apple wont give you the slightest idea on what to expect. Are the working on Software BaseStation? We don't know.</strong><hr></blockquote>

agreed. it's very frustrating. especially with features that work fine in OS 9 and don't even exist in OS X. Apple is too afraid it seems to commit to anything. The last thing I need now is to go out and buy a 300 dollar base station when it used to work just fine in OS 9
  • Reply 7 of 11
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by SYN:

<strong><a href="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/jan/09tribble.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/jan/09tribble.html</a>;

Apple has (re)hired Dr. Guy (Bud) Tribble, the guy who managed the original Mac Software team. He recently worked for Eazel.

This could mean great things as far "macifying" OSX more. I think he could bring new UI paradigms to OSX, and could be the driving force behind a return to better meta-data etc.

He could also influence an eventual Open-Finder.

All in all, good news IMO. Does anybody here know more about the guy?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am not saying who I am, but I used to work for him. He is a great guy with vast experience new and old that will bring a lot to the table. If you discount him (as below) because he worked at NeXT, that is very silly and naive on the person below. The nextstep stuff is so far advanced in 1987 that is still far advanced today. It is called Cocoa and ALL future new app development on Mac will be using this framework and set of tools. Many have tried and failed but this is very good stuff.

I think Apple made a fine addition with Bud Tribble. He has been at Sun, NeXT, Eazel and

Apple twice and I would work again with him.

It is a good announcement. I also know former NeXT people who have returned. And they are assuming many strategic and tactical roles within Apple.

Best.....
  • Reply 8 of 11
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Could this be the first step towards Avie leaving?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Call uo your old boss and tell him to get to work on fscking Rage Pro drivers for (un)supported hardware.

OS X could be great. It's not now. Right now it's just UNIX with a nice display layer. It could be the wonder platform of the future if Apple makes it that way. From what I can tell they can't even get the basics in there.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member

<strong>Call uo your old boss and tell him to get to work on fscking Rage Pro drivers for (un)supported hardware.

OS X could be great. It's not now. Right now it's just UNIX with a nice display layer. It could be the wonder platform of the future if Apple makes it that way. From what I can tell they can't even get the basics in there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I might just do that after he gets sllightly adjusted. they just announced it today (or yesterday). he recognizes talent and the key will be for him to hire people who he can trust and know how to execute--surround yourself with good leuitenents(sic).
  • Reply 11 of 11

<strong>

I didn't write that. Maybe you can point to the thread and I'll remember what I wrote?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're correct. I mixed up your assessment of future G4/G5 processor development with an OS X comment in a later post.

Mea culpa.