in '08 Apple brings an inexpensive all-in-one to the table...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Yes, I know... $1199 isn't too shabby for the new iMac. I agree. But what I'm talking about is something along the lines of a model that is even less expensive...

Sony is selling the PS3 game console at a loss right now to try and maintain market share. While Apple is in the middle of this nation wide buzz for all things Apple, I believe that they should assume a similar strategy for a less expensive iMac model. While Sony is dealing partially out of desperation, Apple arrange such a strategy out of calculation. Maybe an iMac mini or iMac nano or something along those lines. And I'm not talking about "shipping junk" either. Something along the lines of the Mini's specs (maybe even a touch better) in an iMac form factor. Perhaps a 17" screen would be appropriate here. Maybe somewhere around $899-. Leopard is doing fantastic and Apple has billions the bank right now. I'm not saying blow it all, but they have the strength to pull down some serious market share if they want it. Its a very brave move, but it would be all about investing in future Apple customers.

Who knows maybe they're saving for the FCC auction in January... that would be pretty legit too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    That doesn't seem like Apple's style..

Maybe I'm just strange..
  • Reply 2 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Yes, I know... $1199 isn't too shabby for the new iMac. I agree. But what I'm talking about is something along the lines of a model that is even less expensive...

I can't disagree with a less expensive model. As technology moves on this should become very easy for Apple to produce.

Quote:

Sony is selling the PS3 game console at a loss right now to try and maintain market share. While Apple is in the middle of this nation wide buzz for all things Apple, I believe that they should assume a similar strategy for a less expensive iMac model.

Absolutely no way in hell!!!!!!! No company, even Sony can expect to stay in business long with out a profit. In the case of Sony they atleast have the ability to generate a profit from the actual game titles.

Quote:

While Sony is dealing partially out of desperation, Apple arrange such a strategy out of calculation. Maybe an iMac mini or iMac nano or something along those lines. And I'm not talking about "shipping junk" either.

What you are talking is a four letter word beginning with S.

Quote:

Something along the lines of the Mini's specs (maybe even a touch better) in an iMac form factor. Perhaps a 17" screen would be appropriate here. Maybe somewhere around $899-. Leopard is doing fantastic and Apple has billions the bank right now.

I very much expect Apple to replace the Mini soon. There is no doubt in my mind here. I also expect them to design a machine that can sell at the right price point and that is also attractive to a large segment of the market. The machine has to be profitable.

Now all that being said I do believe that Apple can do this for around $700. That is a low cost machine designed for the entry level market that is at least as well appointed as the Mac Mini.

Quote:

I'm not saying blow it all, but they have the strength to pull down some serious market share if they want it. Its a very brave move, but it would be all about investing in future Apple customers.

If you mean selling a product at a lost IT WOULD BE EXTREMELY STUPID ON APPLES PART!! You got that extremely stupid. Apple would be far better off producing a machine that appeals tothe masses and could be sold to the same masses at a profit.

Quote:

Who knows maybe they're saving for the FCC auction in January... that would be pretty legit too.

Apple have not potential at all of entering into new markets such as provided by this auction if they don't make a profit to have cash on hand. It is a fundamantal element of business that you need to have cash to move forward.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Wizard hit the head on the nail there. The difference between a Mac and a PS3 is that Sony gets royalties on every PS3 game, whereas Apple gets nothing for third-party Mac software. Every company makes a profit on their product somewhere, it's just not always on the main unit itself.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Wizard hit the head on the nail there. The difference between a Mac and a PS3 is that Sony gets royalties on every PS3 game, whereas Apple gets nothing for third-party Mac software. Every company makes a profit on their product somewhere, it's just not always on the main unit itself.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I'm not saying that Apple needs to lose money on the sale of its entry level desktops, I'm just saying they're in a position right now where they don't need to be making a ton of money on each sale. Their profit margins definitely up there. To be honest, I don't think they would lose money on a desktop for $899-. It would just be something nice to fill the huge gap between the mac mini and the $1199- iMac. Investing long term would be a good idea right now, by winning over some new customers. People just can't resist those Dell cheapo specials and the problem with that is that Micheal Dell and his cohorts have no problem with shipping a pile of shit and calling it a computer. A coworker of mine that isn't very tech savvy, recently bought a Dell laptop with Vista on it. Slow as anything. When I checked its specs, it had 460mb of RAM. 460, don't even know how thats possible, but its pathetic. Sad that they can make money off of schemes like that.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

That doesn't seem like Apple's style..

Maybe I'm just strange..

Uh, eMac anyone.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    The iMac was $899 just a while ago retaining the normal Apple margins.

The exact same thing with the exact same margins today couldn't cost more than $799.

IMO this would be the perfect machine for everyone who'd otherwise be searching for a bargain bin one. I for one would have bought it instead of an used iMac.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    i would like to see a replacement for the mini that is at least $100 less expensive, to hook up to tv in a bedroom...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

... Their profit margins definitely up there. To be honest, I don't think they would lose money on a desktop for $899-.

And you know this how?
    Quote:

... Investing long term would be a good idea right now, by winning over some new customers. People just can't resist those Dell cheapo specials and the problem with that is that Micheal Dell and his cohorts have no problem with shipping a pile of shit and calling it a computer.

So your suggestion is that Apple should lose money on each unit sold because it will make it up in volume? That's been tried. It may seem to be a successful strategy in the short term, but it is a loser in the long term. Have you actually seen what is happening with Dell lately? It ain't pretty. Have you seen what is happening with Apple lately. It is fantastic. You want to throw away Apple's successful strategy and replace it with Dell's declining strategy?

Quote:

A coworker of mine that isn't very tech savvy, recently bought a Dell laptop with Vista on it. Slow as anything. When I checked its specs, it had 460mb of RAM. 460, don't even know how thats possible, but its pathetic. Sad that they can make money off of schemes like that.

You are trying to have it both ways. You are criticizing the very strategy that you want Apple to adopt. Pick a side and stick with it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Didn't apple just get rid of a 17" screen...?

Hear this out before you reply to just that quote. I understand that you want something cheap, but you will never be able to show me a time that Apple regressed like this. The point of the new iMac is that it is a huge screen at a small price. It'd be like them adding a 17" ACD back to the lineup just so they could have a budget screen.

If somebody wants Apple, they pay a premium. This is why the Mini's, which should be starting at $499 or cheaper with their specs, are expensive. When I worked at an Apple store, the edu iMacs RARELY sold once I explained that they were a Mini with an attached screen. You can go online and get a 22" screen for your $599 Mini and pay $799 with the future ability to upgrade your screen. The specs between the Mini and edu iMac were almost identical except the HD size.

If Apple does anything, it will be another headless. The iMac sells GREAT right now, it has the new form, which took 3 years(?) to change last time, and it is a competitive AIO price. We will see a new Mini or the fabled xMac before another edu-type iMac. The mini is always rumored to be dropped and as of now the xMac is just a joke/wish on the forums and rumor sites.

If you want to make a solid prediction, talk about upgrading current hardware or even the iPhone2. At least it will sound halfway intellegent.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

And you know this how?

Two posts back:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

The iMac was $899 just a while ago retaining the normal Apple margins.

Quote:

So your suggestion is that Apple should lose money on each unit sold because it will make it up in volume? That's been tried. It may seem to be a successful strategy in the short term, but it is a loser in the long term. Have you actually seen what is happening with Dell lately? It ain't pretty. Have you seen what is happening with Apple lately. It is fantastic. You want to throw away Apple's successful strategy and replace it with Dell's declining strategy?

Dell does not sell under cost, they sell at tight margins. There is a difference.

Dell sells Windows. Dell doesn't decide Windows' market share alone or profit from it alone. If they manage to expand Windows market by selling cheap, there'd be hundreds of other manufacturers coming in to share the profits that follow from the wider userbase. Apple in the same situation would profit from the increased OS X marketshare alone. Apple also makes software and separate accessories like iPod and gains from aftermarket sales, Dell doesn't.

Apple could go to $799 while retaining margins, easy. Not having a computer option at that price point is shortsighted and cuts OS X software development in the long term through market share.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

So your suggestion is that Apple should lose money on each unit sold because it will make it up in volume? ...

You are trying to have it both ways. You are criticizing the very strategy that you want Apple to adopt. Pick a side and stick with it.

Here it is again. I think you missed it:

[QUOTE=HyteProsector;1180648 I'm not saying that Apple needs to lose money on the sale of its entry level desktops, I'm just saying they're in a position right now where they don't need to be making a ton of money on each sale. [/QUOTE]

I'm definitely not saying Apple should be like Dell either. Not sure where you pulled that from. If anything, I said that Dell ships shit. Dell shipped Vista which requires 1GB RAM on a laptop that has 460mb. According to your logic I want Apple to ship Leopard which requires 512 mb of RAM with a computer that has ... what 256mb or less? Please. From the beginning I said that it should be a bit higher in performance than the mini. Which would put it in the 1GB RAM range. Gotta make sure you read it all before you go getting all worked up there bud.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    I don't think you're bringing up very many reasonable points Hyte.

imo Apple should drop Ram prices - that's it.