Rumors: iPhone update to add disk mode, iCar project on hold

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A forthcoming iPhone software update will add features such as voice recording and disk mode, according to an unconfirmed report from an overseas publication. Meanwhile, a previously rumored relationship between Apple and Volkswagen appears to have never made it to first base.

iPhone Software 1.1.3 rumors

Apple may be preparing a significant update for the iPhone as early as this weekend that will have some heavily requested features, according to a claim from CNET France translated by Electronista.

The overseas publication says multiple rumblings suggest that a 1.1.3 upgrade for the iPhone will appear by Saturday, adding both a disk mode for storing general data on the device and a voice recording mode for capturing lectures or voice memos.

The disk feature will reportedly behave like the equivalent for iPods but will still block users from simply dragging and dropping media content onto their phones, CNET says.

While unverified, the reported release would come roughly a month after the 1.1.2 update that added international keyboard support and other minor upgrades to the iPhone for its launches in Germany and the UK.

It should be noted that the report runs contrary to recent claims by Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, who in a note to clients last month stated that Apple would hold off on issuing any additional significant software updates for iPhone until early next year. At that time, the analyst said, the touch-screen handset would gain a system-wide Spotlight search function.

iCar project "on hold"

Not that there was ever an indication that such a partnership had blossomed, but Germany's PressPortal is reporting this week that talks between Apple and automaker Volkswagen over an "iCar" concept have stalled.

"The project is shaky," according to the report, which notes that Apple has since entertained discussions with several rival automakers.

Back in August it was reported Volkswagen chief executive Martin Winterkorn flew to California where he sat down for a brainstorming session with Apple chief executive Steve Jobs.

Though in the early planning stages at the time, it was report that the two firms hoped to cooperate on the development of a new generation of Volkswagen compact cars that would include several Apple tie-ins.

Soon thereafter, market intelligence firm iSuppli weighed in with its thoughts on the matter, essentially warning industry watchers that such a partnership was unlikely to materialize for several years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    What happened to the NAV/Entertainment system Apple was working on for Mercedes?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    I am not in the least bit surprised that this project is on hold. I think the auto manufacturers are tired of being screwed with by Apple. Honda, yes Honda discontinued their efforts at iPod compatibility several years ago and withdrew their parts from the market as a consequence of Apple not providing them with the information necessary to keep the system up to date when Apple kept changing things (which "broke" the system).

Honda now simply provides a headphone input jack which any player can use with control of the external device left to the device itself.

Even so Apple continues to list Honda on the iPod ready lists which simply is not true and has not been true for quite some time now.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I have to wonder if 1.1.3 would add the same functionality to the touch.

Adding disc mode would only be fair and I'd be pretty ticked if it didn't.

Granted there's no built-in hardware to support sound input on the touch, the same is true for Nanos that use recorder add-ons.

I've seen recent reports that its been confirmed that the touch docking connector does have pins dedicated to voice-in, just like the nano, so there's no reason not to provide voice recording mode to allow folks like Griffin to provide the hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The disk feature will reportedly behave like the equivalent for iPods but will still block users from simply dragging and dropping media content onto their phones, CNET says.

Why do they do this?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

....Meanwhile, a previously rumored relationship between Apple and Volkswagen appears to have never made it to first base....

Damn, I hate it when I never even make it to first base!

thought i'd lighten up after that the-world-is-going-to-hell

thread i started
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

Why do they do this?

because for average users, they lose all sense of synchronizing with itunes.

randomly throwing stuff on the disk part and hoping it will show up in

playlists etc is all a bit too Creative/ HTC windows mobile mp3 style.

you have to hunt through directories to find where movies videos music

are, have to try and see which can and can't play on your mobile because

you can watch it on the computer why can't i see 1080p scaled down

high definition on my mobile dammmit!
  • Reply 7 of 28
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Not to be a troll, but who wants a great company like Apple working with the company who makes the "most likely to break down" cars on the market? Volkswagon quality is so low these days (several times worse than GM and twice as bad as Ford), I hope Apple stays far away for fear of tarnishing their brand.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    These are hard days for the iPhone hack community. They didn't seem to manage to fully hack 1.1.2 safely in a month and now there's already 1.1.3 around the corner..
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Not to be a troll, but who wants a great company like Apple working with the company who makes the "most likely to break down" cars on the market? Volkswagon quality is so low these days (several times worse than GM and twice as bad as Ford), I hope Apple stays far away for fear of tarnishing their brand.

I don't know what Apple you're talking about but the one I bought my Mac Book Pros from (2) had to replace both of them for a dead display and one that literally melted down inside. Then on one, the battery swelled up and 'exploded' nine months later.

The Mac Pro we have at work made it six months before the fan started running at jet speeds and would not shut down. It's had to go in for repairs TWICE.

The iPod Touch my wife bought 30 days ago has already been replaced TWICE because of a dark, defective screen and then the new replacement that would not output any audio.

We still like Apple but man, they have serious QC issues.

Our 2007 New Beetle however has never had a single problem and is probably the most hassle free, fun car I've driven in many years. (Nor does VW dictate what roads I can drive it on or shut it off if decide I'd like some options.)

You have a VERY hard sell trying to pass present day Apple off as anything even near decent quality control. Maybe VW didn't want to be associated with a company whose customers have to wonder "now what?" every time they make a purchase .

I think a car may also be slightly more complex than a Nano.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

What do Volkswagen USA do that the parent company don't?

In the UK Volkswagen are just above average, just behind BMW and Mercedes for customer satisfaction. Two other VW brands (Skoda and Audi) do much better even if they're essentially the same cars with different body shells.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2007069
  • Reply 11 of 28
    That car is fugly.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

In the UK Volkswagen are just above average, just behind BMW and Mercedes for customer satisfaction. Two other VW brands (Skoda and Audi) do much better even if they're essentially the same cars with different body shells.

Our "US" VW was made in Mexico I am told. Again, I don't know what the statement that VW has such big quality issues is based on but ours is great and way more reliable than anything we've bought from Apple has been.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

That car is fugly.

Ya got me there. My wife loves it but I'm not crazy about the look. Drives great though.

Sorry for turning this into a VW thread.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Adding a disc feature to the Touch would be great (it doesn't have it already?!), but increasing the capacity to 32GB is when it will really take off. At that point it passes a lot of the classic ipods out there in capacity.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Ya got me there. My wife loves it but I'm not crazy about the look. Drives great though.

Sorry for turning this into a VW thread.

I think he's referring to the tangerine "iMac car" used in the story.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Customer satisfaction, perhaps. But not quality.

JD Power's quality ratings showing Volkswagon in last place.

JD Power's dependability ratings showing Volkswagon in last place.

Volkswagon makes fun cars that have nice looks, but they are consistently the least reliable car for the money you can possibly buy, for many years running.

Some have argued that perhaps that matches Apple, but my admittedly biased view about Apple is that their problems are more anecdotal in nature with the people having problems disproportionately represented on forums and elsewhere on the web.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

Customer satisfaction, perhaps. But not quality.

I don't follow cars that closely. Haven't had one since 2001, which oddly was a VW Golf and never had an issue with it in the two years I had it.

I don't think JD Power split it out like that in the UK. If you look at the UK list, you'll note Chevrolet and Chrysler are bottom, whereas in the US they're near the top. VW are just behind BMW in the UK, which are middle of the road here but high in the USA.

One suspects there's more at work here than is immediately apparent from each list.

I've never understood why Apple gets compared to BMW. BMW are more common than Ford here and you're looked on as a bit of a wanker if you drive one. VW are more like Apple - slightly upmarket, understated and clean design without being pretentious like most Japanese cars. If I was to pick a European brand most like Apple, it'd be VW or Audi.

I also don't understand the attraction with Lexus. Bit ostentatious and chavvy both at the same time.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I don't follow cars that closely. Haven't had one since 2001, which oddly was a VW Golf and never had an issue with it in the two years I had it.

I don't think JD Power split it out like that in the UK. If you look at the UK list, you'll note Chevrolet and Chrysler are bottom, whereas in the US they're near the top. VW are just behind BMW in the UK, which are middle of the road here but high in the USA.

One suspects there's more at work here than is immediately apparent from each list.

I thought it was already mentioned, different assembly plants supply different regions. I think that can explain a lot.

Quote:

I've never understood why Apple gets compared to BMW. BMW are more common than Ford here and you're looked on as a bit of a wanker if you drive one. VW are more like Apple - slightly upmarket, understated and clean design without being pretentious like most Japanese cars. If I was to pick a European brand most like Apple, it'd be VW or Audi.

The brand images are different.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    It's true that in the US the Volksagons are made at their Mexico facility while in Europe I believe they're made in a German factory. Perhaps that's the difference. In any case, it means being associated with VW here in the US is probably a lot different than a European would see it. In the US I'd think Toyota (or perhaps Honda) would be the company of choice to try to tie your brand to.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    We have a 2003 VW Jetta. For at least three years running it had this problem in the summer where the brake pedal sensor would die not allowing you to shift the car out of park. We eventually got a recall notice and VW replaced it AGAIN - we'll see what happens this coming summer. Just a few weeks ago, the orignal VW branded battery exploded - as in *KABOOM!* - when my wife tried to start the car. The super-extended warranty we bought (and felt ripped off for buying) has paid for itself I'm sorry to say. I'm not a hater, but based on our experience, I won't be buying another VW anytime soon.

As for Apple and the car industry: Apple has some very nice tech - Core Image, Core Animation, a UNIX OS - and UI experience that would be very neat to see in a car navigation/control system. I hope the iPhone is only the first of many embedded device applications for OS X. I don't know if Apple has the scope, scale and maturity that would be required by a car nav system, though. For example, a few years ago Apple was all, "the Mac will be the BEST Java platform", now we don't even have Java 6 - Apple's focus changed and they dropped the ball. I don't know if the car market could afford this fickleness.

- Jasen.