What G4 in iMac??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was just wondering if the G4 in the new iMac's are the 7450's or are the new 7460 Apollo's. Isn't that little enclosure a bit too small for the heatsink, etc. from the 7450? I mean the processors in the dual PM 800 are pretty big, a lot bigger than what that enclosure of the iMac suggests. You would have to stick the board, proc, heatsink, and the suposedly the hard drives, superdrive, etc. Seems a bit much. BUT if they were using the new Apollo G4, then there wouldn't be the need for such a huge heatsink as they are suppose to run cooler due to the SOI fabbing process. The iMac's aren't set to ship till March. This could be explained by Moto's explanation that the Apollo's won't ship till the first part of the new year. So if these are the Apollo G4's in the iMac, then you know that the PowerMac is going to be G5 when it ships. Just wondering.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by twinturbo:

<strong>I was just wondering if the G4 in the new iMac's are the 7450's or are the new 7460 Apollo's. Isn't that little enclosure a bit too small for the heatsink, etc. from the 7450?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Guess the 7440 is the more likely option. Fits into the PBG4, so the iMac shouldn't really be a big problem.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 2 of 2
    It seems to be 7440 (technically 7441), since there is no L3 cache.

SdC