Power of X Presentation now online

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/powerofx/"; target="_blank">The Power of X Keynote </a> can be viewed from Apple's site. This presentation was given by Avie Tevanian (Apple Software Engineering VP) and Phil Schiller (Apple Worldwide Product Marketing VP) at MWSF 2002. This is a somewhat technical presentation which gives a high level overview of OS X internals and its various programming interfaces. The second half has some demonstrations that non geeks should still find interesting. All in all, I thought is was pretty cool.

BTW, this is my first post to Apple Insider. Six months ago, I would never have thought about owning a Mac. I am a UNIX and Windows programmer, and always thought that the Mac wasn't a serious computing platform (not that Windows is either). But six months ago, I checked out OS X at my local store, and was amazed by its powerful UNIX features and attractive, intuitive interface. I eventually bought an iBook and invested a bunch of money in Apple. I am convinced that many other people will convert because Apple just "gets it".

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Brian J. ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the community!

We're glad you're here!

By the way, you'll meet plenty of zealots on both sides of many hot topics when it comes to Apple computers. It's like a religion to some people. Apple-heads can be very opinionated and are often affected by Steve Jobs' RDF (reality distortion field). If they come on too strong, just ignore 'em and move on.

[edit] oh, and thanks for the heads-up on the stream.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    Welcome!

Happy Apple put the presentation on the web... Am gonna watch it right now.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Welcome aboard.

Question, has anyone lese had trouble with IE and Omni web crashing on Apple's page. I think it is a QT thing, but upon clicking the referenced link, IE just died. then both programs crashed just trying to go to home page. running under OSX of course. any suggestions?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    It's a sad day when Apple's keynotes (aka 'infomercials') actually have more entertainment value than television.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Apple-heads can be very opinionated and are often affected by Steve Jobs' RDF (reality distortion field). If they come on too strong, just ignore 'em and move on.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ooooh. I was wondering what RDF stood for. Thanks for the tipping me off on the lingo. I kept thinking: What does Steve Jobs have to do with a Resource Description Framework?