How many Apple employees work on Mac OS Development

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

Does anybody have a rough estimate of how many employees work at Apple doing Mac OS X development and how does it compare with of same type of employees at other companies which also develop proprietary UNIX OS' like HP, IBM or Sun?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curious_about_mac View Post

Hi,

Does anybody have a rough estimate of how many employees work at Apple doing Mac OS X development and how does it compare with of same type of employees at other companies which also develop proprietary UNIX OS' like HP, IBM or Sun?

Thanks!

Less than 1 in 20.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Less than 1 in 20.

Thanks!

Does this mean that it's about 1000 people? This is really impressive, and in fact hard to believe, given the amount of work that usually goes behind developing and maintaining UNIX-like OS's.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curious_about_mac View Post

Thanks!

Does this mean that it's about 1000 people? This is really impressive, and in fact hard to believe, given the amount of work that usually goes behind developing and maintaining UNIX-like OS's.

Thanks again.

Combined Retail and Corporate is over 17,000 folks. If you conservatively took that to be around 5,000 retail employees then I'd say roughly 600 developers for the Engineering department.

I'm excluding the App teams.

They've always kept a very close eye on saturation of staff. Paying folks to wait on other engineers isn't good business. Having a growing Applications division gives these engineers a chance to move laterally within Apple and get more experience.

It's a win/win for the users of OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

If you conservatively took that to be around 5,000 retail employees then I'd say roughly 600 developers for the Engineering department.

I remember a few years back when S. Jobs said that they had a development team of more than 1000 engineers. It was the time when Apple pushed really hard the OS X development. So, taking into account the iPhone effect, your 600 developers figure looks about right today.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Unless they have consolidated their engineering teams, I imagine much more than one thousand. Figure each technology that is supported by the OS has it's own team of at least eight developers, four testers, a team lead and a manager....
  • Reply 6 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Everybody knows 100+ works there, but only one makes the decisions
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I would like to thank all those who replied.

Even the 1000 + estimate is impressive to me (not to say the ~ 600).

It almost seems like a disinformation tactic, since I would have expected the actual number to be in the several thousands (like 3-4 thousands).

Cheers!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I remember a few years back when S. Jobs said that they had a development team of more than 1000 engineers. It was the time when Apple pushed really hard the OS X development. So, taking into account the iPhone effect, your 600 developers figure looks about right today.

He included everyone from Software Quality Assurance to Professional Services.

Steve exaggerated the numbers. Surprised?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

He included everyone from Software Quality Assurance to Professional Services.

Steve exaggerated the numbers. Surprised?

You are probably right, but surprised? Hardly. We are here after all accustomed to hear his exaggerations (3 GHz in one year, year of the HD, year of the notebook, and probablt others that I forgot now). He is just a good marketer these days. Well, he always was, but lately it became very prominent with his farces. But even so it probably works with the grand public, and this is what finally matters for the company.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Doesn't matter when Apple keeps taking them away to work on the iPhone.