Apple to launch TV downloads on iTunes Store Canada

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Though smarting for the recent loss of content partner NBC, iPod maker Apple Inc. will nonetheless continue its charge towards dominance in the digital video market this week by launching its first array of TV programming on the Canadian iTunes Store.

People familiar with the matter tell ArsTechnica that programming from a handful of Canadian television networks will start cropping up on the localized version of the Apple digital download service as early as Tuesday afternoon, with a hard launch slated for Wednesday.

"As 2007 winds to a close, Apple plans to give an early Christmas gift to our Canadian friends in the form of (a few) TV shows being added to the iTunes Store," wrote Ars' Jacqui Cheng. "Of course, with all things iTunes (and Apple), these exact days can easily get pushed, but the shows are expected to make their debut at most within the next couple of weeks."

Among the programs expected to be part of the first wave of Canadian TV content are shows from local networks CBC and CTV, in addition to an assortment of programming from some select US networks.

The move by Apple comes just one week after failed contract renewal negotiations with NBC forced the removal of nearly all of the network's shows for the US version of the iTunes store. Some NBC-aired shows, which are produced by third parties, remain available.

iTunes Canada will be just the third version of the iTunes Store to serve up individual television shows (or full season bundles), joining those located in the US and the UK.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Excellent - you can just smell the iPhone announcement coming... as the put all the missing pieces in place.

And I expect iTunes Movies will follow soon - as TV Shows were the biggest hurdle on iTunes due to the Canadian Broadcasters having exclusive rights to most series in Canada.

Stu
  • Reply 2 of 25
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    It's coming.. it's coming... slowly.. but it's coming..

Why is it that english speaking countries are first in row?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    I think I speak for Canadians everywhere when I say, "IT'S ABOUT TIME!"

I think I speak for Americans and Brits everywhere when I say, "You're not missing much."

-Clive
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Shock! (and awe)
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

It's coming.. it's coming... slowly.. but it's coming..

Why is it that english speaking countries are first in row?

Um, well, Canada has two Official Languages - English and French. Oh and speaking of French, isn't the iPhone already in France??
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

I think I speak for Canadians everywhere when I say, "IT'S ABOUT TIME!"

I think I speak for Americans and Brits everywhere when I say, "You're not missing much."

Coffee --> Screen

That said, I was really looking forward to getting a season pass of BSG this year, but with Universal's departure, I'm afraid you're right--there's not much left.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    I wonder if the fact that Canada productions are not impacted the same way by the US writers strick means what is really happening is that iTunes is trying to get access to new Canadian content for it's US based viewers... that would sound pretty smart to me. Plus Americans can now get Canadian idol where the contestants have igloo making contests!
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

I wonder if the fact that Canada productions are not impacted the same way by the US writers strick means what is really happening is that iTunes is trying to get access to new Canadian content for it's US based viewers... that would sound pretty smart to me. Plus Americans can now get Canadian idol where the contestants have igloo making contests!

Unlikely, since the majority of US-based users will not have access to the Canadian store (there are ways around this however -- I have an account on the Japan iTunes store even though I am based in the US). You have to register using a Credit Card with a billing address in the store's country, or by using a pre-paid card purchased from that store's country.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Unlikely, since the majority of US-based users will not have access to the Canadian store (there are ways around this however -- I have an account on the Japan iTunes store even though I am based in the US). You have to register using a Credit Card with a billing address in the store's country, or by using a pre-paid card purchased from that store's country.

You mean, I, as a US resident and USA iTunes subscriber can't view Canadian content? Or tv shows from the UK, I can't view that either???

Apple needs to create iTunes, International so that anyone, from anywhere, can view shows from anywhere produced by other tv markets from other countries.

It would at least give the US iTunes market more choices and considering America is the "Melting Pot", others who recently immigrated here can still view their favorite shows and sure, while the loss of NBC's content means fewer NBC programs, viewers can venture to enlighten themselves and who knows become bigger fans of foreign tv productions to where NBC is inconsequential.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

You mean, I, as a US resident and USA iTunes subscriber can't view Canadian content? Or tv shows from the UK, I can't view that either???

That depends on your definition of view You can hop over to any of the other stores and see what's there, and even preview the offerings. You cannot purchase them however. If you have an account on the US iTunes store, it only allows you to purchase items from the US store. If you want to purchase on the UK store, you need a new account tied to that store (and again, that account has to be created using either a credit card with a billing address in that country, or a pre-paid card purchased from that country).

Quote:

Apple needs to create iTunes, International so that anyone, from anywhere, can view shows from anywhere produced by other tv markets from other countries.

I'm sure Apple would be happy to do this, but I doubt their media partners would allow them to. If, for example, residents of Japan had access to the US iTunes store, they would no longer have to buy albums at twice the cost. A single track on the Japan store runs an average of ¥150-¥200 (about $1.75), and many of the albums are not sold at a discount when all of the tracks are purchased together. That's because a label such as Sony Japan makes a different deal with Apple in Japan than Sony US makes with Apple in the states. Likewise, the television studios are going to want to limit what shows are available in each market and they'll want to charge differently depending on the market.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure that is out of Apple's control due to how the rights are handled.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    I don't understand how this is different than what was tried here. It makes sense for me for the TV stations to offer the programs for free on their web sites.

Now if iTunes wants to make money from TV programming, it should allow programs from all over the world available to everyone.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I don't understand how this is different than what was tried here. It makes sense for me for the TV stations to offer the programs for free on their web sites.

Now if iTunes wants to make money from TV programming, it should allow programs from all over the world available to everyone.

Again, it's not Apple's decision, it's the networks and studios.

As for offering up shows for free on their sites, they can block access to content outside of the country. The BBC has limited access to some of their content outside of the UK, for example.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Considering that "pirating" shows for personal use is legal in Canada, I'm thinking bringing this content to iTunes.ca is a little too little, a little too late.

I mean, if you can legally get the content for free, why would you pay for it?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Considering that "pirating" shows for personal use is legal in Canada, I'm thinking bringing this content to iTunes.ca is a little too little, a little too late.

Um, to what laws and to what piracy are you referring?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Two good reasons I can think of:

1. Because it is easy (boy do I miss Napster some days...)

2. Because even though they have not proved it illegal, I can't help but think a little of me still goes to hell every time I take something I have not paid for (that the source wants to be paid for).
  • Reply 17 of 25
    In a related story... Apple now trumped by Vudu for same release schedule as DVD, HD downloads.

http://production.broadcastnewsroom.....jsp?id=253664
  • Reply 18 of 25
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    With nbc shows gone this is coming way to late for me to care.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

It would at least give the US iTunes market more choices and considering America is the "Melting Pot", others who recently immigrated here can still view their favorite shows and sure, while the loss of NBC's content means fewer NBC programs, viewers can venture to enlighten themselves and who knows become bigger fans of foreign tv productions to where NBC is inconsequential.

Ex-(f***ing)-actly. Obviously impossible at this point but would be great.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Again, it's not Apple's decision, it's the networks and studios.

Though they seem to have globalised content on the music store, hopefully they follow with video content. In fact they're screwed if they don't. There seem to be too many reasons for considering alternative services.

There used to be 400+ TV shows on the US iTS and surely no other country's broadcast networks can carry all of that - if a TV show isn't being marketed in an country with an iTunes store you'd have thought Apple would have been mopping up the deals and getting presence!

With all this NBC nonsense you'd also think that Apple were going to hit back with HD/Rentals/Global to adjust the balance. He IS Disney after all!

McD