Looking for a good networked backup scheme...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm looking to consolidate all of my data (various hard drives, DVD, etc) into one simple large volume w/ an identical mirrored backup.

I'd like it to have

1TB

Available on a network as a share

Possibly accessible via the internet

Searchable via Spotlight in Leopard

I don't need time machine to work with it (although that would be nice). It's just going to hold a backup of my computer, and an archive of all of my media (music, movies, photos, documents, etc).

I'd like it to be as seamless as possible. Idea being, I come home for the day, open my macbook, the drive connects, backup runs, and the drive stays connected via the wireless network. If I put my mac to sleep, the drive disconnects and all is normal. If I need to retrieve a file, I can search it via spotlight or just browse to the file quickly (also maybe using quicklook). Most of my access will be locally on the network- probably wireless, although the first backup and stuff could be USB/Firewire to speed things up.

Is there anything that would work like this out there? I've seen the MyBook thing, but heard it kinda sucks, and the airport disk thing isn't that great either? Does anyone have experience with it? Is it possible to have one drive backup to the other w/out a computer involved?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    thank you thank you for starting this, i thought time machine was to do this but since it won't connect your HD to apple router.....we needed this. unless apple does a home server that can have a mirrored HD
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

thank you thank you for starting this, i thought time machine was to do this but since it won't connect your HD to apple router.....we needed this. unless apple does a home server that can have a mirrored HD

Yeah- no kidding. What I really need is a home server. Really. I'd like one central server w/ a HUGE drive that allows me to store and sync all of my media.

• iTunes draws from it

• iPhoto draws from it

• iPhone can sync to it

• It backs up my data from my computers and is searchable

• It serves my personal web site

• Can be mirrored to an external drive via Time Machine

• Apple TV can play from it

• Etc.

I'd be willing to pay $800 for such a device.

The next best thing is what I'm looking for w/ the 1 drives on the network- at least my data is all in one place and backed up.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    SJ please read this and get R&D on it, make timemachine stellar
  • Reply 4 of 4
    OK, this is what I've found out so far...

I found this company called "QNAP" that makes a NAS that's pretty awesome- the TS-201...

http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=74

It supports just about everything I'm looking for (including iTunes support and a UPnP media server for my PS3). Also has an FTP server for easy remote access. And all flavors of RAID.

From newegg it's $277 and 2 750GB SATA Drives are $149 each, coming to a total of $629 including shipping and tax. Not too bad!