Trouble installing OS onto system with faulty superdrive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Anyone know if it's possible to install Tiger onto my old iMac G4 through a firewire or ethernet connection to my Intel iMac?

I wiped the hard drive on the G4 without thinking, so it has no system on it whatsoever, and it won't boot from the Tiger DVD. It will recognise a CD however, it's just that I don't have an Install CD...

I tried running the installer on the Intel iMac, hoping I could "Choose destination" as the G4 in firewire mode, but the Intel won't run the installer (perhaps because it's Intel?)

Nor will it install Tiger from Restore DVD that came with the Intel.

So, any way of installing/booting short of having to replace the Superdrive or buying Install CDs?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Martin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Maybe this works:

make a dmg of your install dvd with your intel mac... connect the imac over firewire (disk utility should see the hdd of the imac if the mac is in firewire target mode).

Partition your imac hdd in 2 - one just big enough for the dmg, the other one for the system itself...

Go to the restore tab...

Mount your dmg on your intel, drag it from the left column in disk utility to "source" and drag the imac hdd to "Destination"...

click on restore...

wait a second ...

restart your imac and hold down the "alt" key... you should see now the "Mac OS X Install DVD", choose it and install from it on the big remaining partition on your imac...