This is an ad in Circuit City's ad today:

HP Pavilion Media Center PC featuring:

ViiV Processor Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600

3GB DDR2 RAM

640GB HDD

DVD/CD R/W

Windows Vista

WiFi Lan

Personal and Pocket Media Drive Bays (??)

Wireless keyboard and mouse

TV Tuner

Personal video recorder and media center remote

NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS Graphics w/ DirectX

$999.99 (20? widescreen LCD monitor - $269.99)

Compare that with what you get from Apple for 1000 bucks? 3GB RAM would cost half that.

Too bad you can?t run OS X on this HP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Compare that with what you get from Apple for 1000 bucks? 3GB RAM would cost half that.

Too bad you can?t run OS X on this HP.

I know..then it might actually work well enough to function as a consumer electronics device.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Mac elitists piss me off. You give every mac user a bad name. Ugh.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    you can build a system with better parts for less or get a system with 2gb of ddr2 800 with good timings good MB and much better video card for the same price.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I know..then it might actually work well enough to function as a consumer electronics device.

qft..
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post

Mac elitists piss me off. You give every mac user a bad name. Ugh.

You're on the wrong site then. If you want to swill the Windows Koolaid may I suggest something ran by Paul ThurROT.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...earchterm=HTPC

Quote:

Imagine a car that you built yourself. Now imagine a car that has parts made all over the world, by different manufacturers - some big, some small. None of who work together on a regular basis or have any true way of testing their products with the mass accumulation of the sum total of parts available. Microsoft makes the engine. Kingston's got the carburetor. The transmission is by MSI and the cooling system is by Thermaltake. The electrical system is by ATI and a the tires were shipped in (aftermarket) USPS from Seagate (the rims are made by Vantech). The whole thing is held together by a chassis made by Silverstone.

Oh yeah, the radio is by ADSTech, the power steering system was added through a company called Logitech and the brakes are manufactured by nVidia (who also makes electrical systems but theirs isn't in this car).

You start up the car and it hums nicely, except that when you go to activate the cruise control there's some conflict between the nVidia and ATI systems. They don't seem to want to talk and as a result the cruise control activates but wants to keep decreasing the speed until the car stalls. For some unknown reason this also causes the windshield wipers to leave streaks on the windshield which won't go away. You visit the manufacturers' website (there is not all-encompassing warranty on this car cause you built it yourself, remember?) Unfortunately they simply tell you to uninstall the electrical system and reinstall it after you first install the brakes.

This goes on for weeks. Nothing ever quite works perfectly. There's alway some... glitch... some issue waiting to be troubleshot and remedied.

I'm throwing away the car. Seriously, I'm done. My experiment with the home theater PC is over. For now.

Unfortunately this is not a unique scenario even for a prebuilt system. I think my problem with Vista and HTPC is that Microsoft's approach is wrong. For a HTPC I don't want a full fledged OS unless you can guarantee me very little problems. When I turn on my AV system I expect it work every time the same way. I don't expect to have to patch anything but the occasional firmware patch every now and then.

I hope that Apple sees this. For CE devices based on computer OS I think it's best to start "Lean and Mean" at the OS level and add only the features that you need. I think Apple's strategy will be to start very basic (i.e Apple TV) and then work their way on up slowly and surely without the "computer" headaches that we see with Media Centre HTPC.

BTW ...I'm touched that a new user such as yourself has bestowed upon me such power and influence over Mac users everywhere. "With great power comes great responsibility" I'll remember this for the future :P