need help with iDvd 6.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i'm stuck and probably a simple solution hard to decipher from idvd help and apple dotmac tutorial

using iDvd 6.0 theme:reflection black

have dropped 8 photos in the drop areas

i have 3 slideshows from iphoto 6 all set up with transitions, music etc in iphoto

11 videos of 20 secs each also in my iphoto 6.

my problem is setting up menus

i like the "map" settings because it's drag and drop

i would like a menu that says slideshows (and then the menu can list the names of my slide shows e.g. girls just want to have fun

you've got a friend in me

silent night holy night

and a menu item for "home movies"

in which i would list 11 snippets from my canon camera

i tried to create a map then did a drag and drop, but was confused, didn't look right

tried "magic dvd" looks kind of ok but it put my movies in the dropoffs in the beginning of the dvd title page, replaced my 8 pictures.

probably doing something wrong.

i thought it was simplest by creating a complete slideshow in iphoto, maybe i should of just created albums ten do the editing in iDvd.

what am i missing with creating menus??? the title page action looks good, using a garage band sample which is kind of cool,.....now for the media and menus

also what's the best book out there for iDvd novices

i wish they had an online or active tutorial for each them for example little arrows move across the page telling you what next.

thanks for any help, if i can't get this out for Christmas no big deal, but it would be great.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    I do this once a year for Christmas so it's hard to remember....but i made it work after much trial and error. Perhaps i needed to understand a few things first

most things are drag and drop.

there are two modes: review mode and working/ building palate mode

Prepare: it's like doing a theme paper, have in your mind what you want in terms of look and organization. i needed a title page, a menu for my slideshows, and a menu for my video snippets

check your idvd preferences---wide screen or not, look at other things look at them all.

prepare your media--i used slide shows and video snippets created by my canon point and shoot camera (done in quicktime, video snippets work like pictures from iphoto 6),

slideshows---send to idvd under "share" pull down (mine DID NOT show up under the idvd media button searching showed them in "movies" at my home computer list

video snippets--were in iphoto, reading for drag and drop, the titles did not come across so you will have to rename them (why i dont know, because in the media list in idvd the titles were there..oh well i dragged both from my media list and from iphoto but the titles didn't come across, don't worry you can rename them later in work palate mode

get organized (remember it was all drag and drop for me).

chose theme--that works with the media you organized under each theme are extra pages for the theme as additional menu pages see which one works for the media you have...for my theme they had a six window option and a page that i could simply make a list of media choices "buttons" since i had 11 videos the 6 pane didn't look right i chose the other "list "option

mapping---this was at first a curse then a blessing. i didn't know how to use them, well start your map with the opening page and add submenus to it....HERES THE PART THAT DROVE ME NUTS..when i "dragged" my media to the side of the menu page it placed it wrong. DRAG TO THE BLUE COLOR MENU PAGE and it adds it to that menu (dah!!!)

review--use review to see how it looks, when you return to the working palate all the things at least for mine were changable, see the right hand side for all options. once i realized that anything with a "hand" i could change, move recenter etc. i got the hang of it. if you wanted different music find it then drag it over. apple did make it simple but getting started was tough. maybe they need an orientation to idvd with images and point to arrows. save often

i saved after each review so i didn't waist my work.

if the media needed renaming, because titles didn't come across from iphoto 6, well rename, resize (i had 11 titles on that one page, but i was able to drag things around change the font size from the right hand menus that showed up, lots of experimentation, it worked.

so i wish i understood that mapping icon better, and it would help if the titles came across from iphoto 6, and those slideshows if they don't show up in the media list from idvd don't worry they are in "movies" in you home, with a .mov file name.

i did this with my macbook, with all the windows that were open and dragging and dropping it convinced me to get new imac (after macworld announcements) next year. that imac realestate would help me keep the windows more in my visual palate

well it worked, i'm proud of my tenacity and hope my pain is your helping hand. maybe i need to do this more often so i don't get rusty but hey it's Christmas and i have the day off.

any other tips and tricks let me know.

i would like to find a mac friendly label program so i could make the discs look less cheesy i just wrote with a marker pen (purple had at least a bit of class).

whew...MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL ....AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT