Illustrator alternatives? Any ideas?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'd like to start designing t-shirt designs, and posters for the charity events that I work with.

Illustrator would do just fine for me, with one exception - the cost. I can't justify spending charity money, or my money, to do this.

Are there any good Illustrator alternatives? Or, what's the cheapest way to get Illustrator?

I'm not a college student, so I can't get that discount, unless I sign up for a basket weaving class or a Burmese cat waxing class.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Try Lineform. Use the demo and if you like it, it's only $80.

However, I like Illustrator and think it's worth the price. You can find good deals on ebay if you look hard enough. You might get an older version (CS2) for under $100.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Rita is a nice, bare-bones, free vector app.

Lineform has more features though, so give the demo for Lineform a go before you decide.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I like Inkscape but it runs under X11:

http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/index.php?lang=en
  • Reply 4 of 7
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Try Lineform. Use the demo and if you like it, it's only $80.

However, I like Illustrator and think it's worth the price. You can find good deals on ebay if you look hard enough. You might get an older version (CS2) for under $100.

Thanks. I've downloaded it already, and will check it out.

I have tried Inkscape as well, but I just haven't fallen for it yet.

The LineForm download is only 6.1MB. It looks like a pretty good program for such a small amount of coding.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I'd like to start designing t-shirt designs, and posters for the charity events that I work with.

Illustrator would do just fine for me, with one exception - the cost. I can't justify spending charity money, or my money, to do this.

Are there any good Illustrator alternatives? Or, what's the cheapest way to get Illustrator?

I'm not a college student, so I can't get that discount, unless I sign up for a basket weaving class or a Burmese cat waxing class.

I've got versions of Illustrator and Freehand and Canvas or Corel (USA, in original boxes) I'd be happy to sell you at a reasonable price?

Skip
  • Reply 7 of 7
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Would Fireworks work well for shirt and poster designs? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Fireworks is reasonably priced.

Or also, Corel Painter X?