gmail on iPod Touch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I can't get my regular email to work on my iPod Touch for some reason, so I set up a gmail account for my iPod Touch. I am running the Mail app from the iPhone.

Everything works fine except that every message I SEND from the iPod, I also get a copy of it in my inbox as a new incoming email. I've checked settings in Mail and gmail and unless I missed something, I don't see a setting to have copies of outgoing mail sent back to me.

Confused...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    You aren't somehow copying yourself on all the email you send, are you? What does the sent mail look like in your inbox? Does it have the same TO: recipient as you sent or does it have your email address in the TO: field?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

You aren't somehow copying yourself on all the email you send, are you? What does the sent mail look like in your inbox? Does it have the same TO: recipient as you sent or does it have your email address in the TO: field?

I double-checked the Mail settings: "Always Bcc to myself" is turned off

The sent mail in my inbox looks like I had sent the email to myself but it hasn't been: the FROM field has my name, the TO field has the recipient's name and the message is exactly as I sent it.

It actually looks just like the email that gets filed away in the SENT folder, except that the top line is the FROM (my name) instead of the TO (recipient's name).
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I don't have a gmail account so I'm not sure, but are there any settings to CC: yourself on the gmail account itself (not thru Mail.app on the iPhone). Is your inbox showing the same thing when you log into your gmail account using a browser?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    It's to do with the way GoogleMail stores messages on its servers.

Have a look at the following for more details on how to configure GoogleMail to work properly, both on the iPhone/iPod Touch and in Mail.app:

http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862
  • Reply 5 of 6
    JupiterOne - logging into gmail itself shows no emails there. I have it set up to remove them once I've downloaded them via POP.

yama - thanks for the link, I will check it out. I have a feeling it's the way my gmail account is set up.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I found this on the gmail help section, it appears to be a known issue:

If you notice that messages you send from your iPhone are appearing in your iPhone's inbox, please note that this POP behavior is a result of enabling Recent mode to ensure that all other POP clients will be able to access your messages. We're aware of this issue and thank you for your patience while we address this issue.

After a quick Google of "recent mode" I found this solution:

To stop Gmail from pushing to your iPhone Mail Inbox a copy of each message you send from iPhone Mail:

Tap Settings on the iPhone's Home screen.

Go to Mail.

Now tap Accounts.

Choose your Gmail account.

Tap Advanced.

Make sure Off is selected under Use Recent Mode.

Tap Save.