Decompression apps./OpenUp or Stuffit Expander

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Should I simply trash my Stuffit Expander app. and go with OpenUp/ColdCompress. Any thoughts about Open and Cold compared to Stuffit apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by EthoX:

<strong>Should I simply trash my Stuffit Expander app. and go with OpenUp/ColdCompress. Any thoughts about Open and Cold compared to Stuffit apps. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd love to see an end to Stuffit, but for the time being there are a lot of developers seem to still use .sit for app and update downloads.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>

I'd love to see an end to Stuffit, but for the time being there are a lot of developers seem to still use .sit for app and update downloads.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why an end to Stuffit? Haven't ever had problems with the application. Except for a bug in the first update for OS X. Since I am a registered user got a quick and friendly work around for that. On the phone no less. He told me they posted the fix online but told me he'd walk me through the steps on the phone...good job I think.

Stuffit whether you like it or not, is going to be the standard compression format for a while.

By the way, I've never heard of the other compression applications mentioned above. Are they more exclusive for developers?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

<strong>

Why an end to Stuffit? Haven't ever had problems with the application. Except for a bug in the first update for OS X. Since I am a registered user got a quick and friendly work around for that. On the phone no less. He told me they posted the fix online but told me he'd walk me through the steps on the phone...good job I think.

Stuffit whether you like it or not, is going to be the standard compression format for a while.

By the way, I've never heard of the other compression applications mentioned above. Are they more exclusive for developers?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm a paid-up owner of Stuffit Deluxe as well, but not for much longer. I dislike Aladdin's policy for upgrade pricing.

It just seems pointless paying for a compression system when there are so many available for free, most of which are also more efficient than Stuffit.

Openup appeared pretty quickly after the release of Mac OS Server because most apps were distributed as gzipped tarballs. A lot of developers now use this for OS X apps. Omni Group offer OmniWeb this way.

I guess it's just the usual argument about open standards vs. proprietry.

Also it seems a little unfair that although Aladdin offer Stuffit Expander as a free download, they won't provide the necessary information for others to provide Stuffit decompression in their apps.