Not a rumour just Speculation, why a new I mac could be multi touch.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all

Was shopping for christmas presents today, saw the new i mac and thought of something that seems ready for apple. IMHO Apple imac from factor is ready for multi touch. With the inclusion of a battery,

and a touch screen the imac is almost there in terms of an industrial design solution. I understand heat, and processing concerns abound but look at the thing, it floats on that simple stand. If apple could develop a 1 inch thick laptop why not mac a imac that converts to a multi touch media tablet when laying flat, a la via accelerometer and uses a wireless keyboard on its stand. Apple may not build a specific tablet yet may use the imac to return to a duodock like play.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I dont think the current iMac design is suitable for the multi touch cause I dont think the stand would be able to stabilize people touching the screen, perhaps its possible with the previous iMac design (the one if the round bottom).

I prefer the MacBook and MBP to be multi touch. Of coarse a iMac multi touch function would be cool, but I the MacBook and MBP to get multi touch first. Lets hope Apple surprises everyone by releasing a touch screen MacBook this January.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Multi-touch could easily be added, but the stand would be modified, so that it could either withstand pressure from a horizontal source or be able to positioned laterally. My guess is we'll see an official Tablet instead (before the iMac gets multi-touch at least)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I'm not sure that multi-touch would actually sell. There's a HP Touchsmart at the place I work at where everyone thinks it's cool, but no one buys. They all look at it and move on to a computer with a normal mouse and keyboard for far less money.

While HP and Mac don't compare, the idea is more of the point. Maybe in time we'll be using systems like in Minority Report but too many people are just not there yet. Quite honestly I'm surprised everyday by the number of people who are on dial-up or never owned a computer.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Wasn't there a patent for a stand for a tablet type computer. Add multi touch and you have the next (big?) thing.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post

While HP and Mac don't compare...

HP and Apple*
  • Reply 6 of 11
    If Apple could get it at the same price as its current hardware offering. Then the reason of Macs are expensive is not goin to exist anymore
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

HP and Apple*

Yeah, I was more thinking "Thouchsmart and iMac". It just didn't come out right. \ I should have use HP and Apple though in what I wrote.

At least I didn't call it an Imac!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post

Yeah, I was more thinking "Thouchsmart and iMac". It just didn't come out right. \ I should have use HP and Apple though in what I wrote.

At least I didn't call it an Imac!

Yes the L mac for all the ladies out there... Need to keep an eye of two on damn capslock...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Multi touch macs will sell, Apple intro'd the iphone, people are now familiar with the concept. I don't think it will take over the computer market but will create another niche for apple who can make the hardware and software work. Plus the faithful will buy it because its from apple.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I think it would be very simple for Apple to make a multi-touch Mac tablet.

I think it would be equally as simple for Apple to make a rocking horse from recycled mineral water bottles with a laser sight between its eyes and a fridge in its belly for one to store suet pudding and Polish sausage, or to make the new MacBooks from lint.

I also think that all of these things are equally as likely and as likely as they would be useful.

I think that tablets are very useful things for:

-traffic wardens

-waiters

-the people who come and fix your gas oven or your electricity

-the man who comes to deliver your new MacBook Pro

...and I have yet to have explained to me a single advantage unique to a tablet for anyone else who uses a computer every day.

Yes, I'm positive there are dozens of architects, designers, musicians, film-makers and sundry other professionals who would love multi-touch interfaces for applications that haven't been coded yet, and these interfaces and the hardware they run on will probably come, but it won't be Apple selling them, and they won't run on 'tablets'.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    yeah, Apple should take advantage of their touch screen lead before MSoft decide to find a way to reduce the price of their touchscreen technology which they claim its much better then Apple current touchscreen technology. Like I said, if Macs (regardless portable or not) were to come in touchscreen, then people cannot say that Macs are expensive anymore.

Also, if Apple were to make the new MacBooks aluminium, then it will even be more value for money cuz most laptops offer in plastics