Using iPod & iPhone Video Out: Background and In-Depth Review

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been looking all over for the real scoop on the video cables and docks.

My wife's getting a 6G classic for her B-day. It will be the first ipod in our house. Special thanks to the reviewer and all the posters here. This is by far the best info I've found. It cuts right through all that conspiricy theory crap out there. We just got our first hdtv so I'm happy to hear that the 6G has a higher quality video out. But I tried to convert a DVD to video and it was going to take 29 hours at 640 res vs 7 hours at 320 res with my "old" 800mhz PIII, so I guess I'll need a new computer now too! Bring on the tax rebate, I'm ready to spend it!
  • Reply 42 of 61
    i've won an ipod nano 4gb 3rd generation in a raffle in our office!

it was great! Music, games , video and stuff!

so i decided to buy a component AV cable To watch videos out of my new ipod!

i plugged everything red and white on audio!

but the Video plug have three Plug! and my TV video-in only have one! the yellow one!

i've tried the three colored plugs on my TV! but none seems to work!

audio was great!!!!!

video is not working at all!

i've tried the option PAL / NTSC! still the same! no video output!

my TV works fine with my DVD!

(Y, Pb, and Pr) on video and red/white audio! usb/dock connector!

did i miss something??

please help guys!!!
  • Reply 43 of 61
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shouyouken View Post

so i decided to buy a component AV cable To watch videos out of my new ipod!

Your TV lacks component video inputs apparently. Those are the red, green blue ones. You need a composite cable (yellow for video; red and white for sound) not a component cable. Apple sells both versions.

Component has better picture quality but its only an option if the tv supports it.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Your TV lacks component video inputs apparently. Those are the red, green blue ones. You need a composite cable (yellow for video; red and white for sound) not a component cable. Apple sells both versions.

Component has better picture quality but its only an option if the tv supports it.

is there any other ways of making use of my component cable??

like AV - component cable adapter or S-video cable adapter??

or anything like making an adapter myself?? if this is possible, please give instruction on how to join those three colors!!!

thank you very much!!!

more poweR!
  • Reply 45 of 61
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

is there any other ways of making use of my component cable??

With a new TV.

Quote:

like AV - component cable adapter or S-video cable adapter??

or anything like making an adapter myself?? if this is possible, please give instruction on how to join those three colors!!!

None of this is possible, sorry.

You can buy component to composite converters, but these are not simple cable adaptors, they have electronics inside and therefore need power to work and are quite pricey (relative to a cable). Therefore it's not a sensible option as you might as well just spend much less on the new cable.

In summary, the options you have are:

1.) Buy a new T.V. with component inputs

2.) Buy a composite cable.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

With a new TV.

None of this is possible, sorry.

You can buy component to composite converters, but these are not simple cable adaptors, they have electronics inside and therefore need power to work and are quite pricey (relative to a cable). Therefore it's not a sensible option as you might as well just spend much less on the new cable.

In summary, the options you have are:

1.) Buy a new T.V. with component inputs

2.) Buy a composite cable.

3.) Go through a VCR or other piece of hardware which has component input and composite output.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    thanks alot guys!!!

Component to S-video is rear!!

i searched the net and found a hardware that converts Component signal to s-video signal!

it's a 9-volt hardware and pretty expensive for a converter! it cost around 160dollars! wow!!!

do you guys have a circuit diagram of this converter??

i will try to build it myself!

my last option would trading or selling this component cable! the cheapest way i guess!!

thanks for the advice guys!!!

more power!!!
  • Reply 48 of 61
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

do you guys have a circuit diagram of this converter??

i will try to build it myself!

Why?

Just buy the composite cable; it's not that expensive and guaranteed to work. Also, how many hours will it take you to research and build a converter yourself? Building a converter yourself rather than buying a cheap cable only makes sense if you don't value your time at all.

P.S. Please stop the excessive use of question and punctuation marks.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I am trying to get a corporate video ready for Exchange support on the iPhone v2.0. Does the video out mirror the display of the iPhone or does it only send out proper video and picture files from the select apps?
  • Reply 50 of 61
    i have just come accross the video out in depth review,

i quote "The iPhone and Touch don't generate an S-Video signal at all, but use the same pin outputs for composite and component video signals."

and seeing the diagram of the old ipod dock, routing composite video signals to the"line out"(which i thought was purely audio) part of the dock

is it right for me to assume that this dock will work with the iphone video out with a 3.5mm handy cam composite video cable rca jack? thanks
  • Reply 51 of 61
    These seem to have come out in the last couple of months:

http://www.sourcingmap.com/rca-cable...o-p-20096.html

http://www.sourcingmap.com/rca-cable...o-p-20113.html

http://www.techng.com/SNY-AV3USB-Com...B001CD9LBI.htm

Anyone have experience with them?

Update: I just got a message from Sourcing Map that this one below DOES NOT work with iPOD Classic, iPhone or Touch. I've ordered the other one - will post.

http://www.sourcingmap.com/rca-cable...o-p-20096.html

Update: I got the " RCA AV Cable with Color Display for iPod Classic Nano Video Photo" from Sourcingmap - it works!! However, there is a bug or a problem - I'm not sure if this is due to the cable of the iPod Classic. After playing a video - especially a podcast, I have to disconnect and reconnect the AV cable and only then do I get it to play another video on an external screen. Its not consistent - sometimes, I can play a few videos without any problem. I plan to buy another cable to find out if its the cable.

ANY IDEAS?

AM

AM
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Hi, I wondered if anyone can help me, I know that if I buy the Component cable then I can definitely plug it into my Samsung HD TV, however, my TV is wired up to my Hifi.

I was thinking that I could occasionally unplug the cables linking my Stereo and plug in the ipod cables.

However, I'm not sure if my Stereo is too old for Component audio cables, I'm normally up on technology but I'm unsure if component cables will be compatible with old ports on my stereo.

For reference I have the Sony MHC-AG444S like this one.

I have Yellow White & Red sockets in the front.

http://cgi.ebay.es/SONY-HI-FI-MHC-AG...QQcmdZViewItem
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mitch1984 View Post

Hi, I wondered if anyone can help me, I know that if I buy the Component cable then I can definitely plug it into my Samsung HD TV, however, my TV is wired up to my Hifi.

I was thinking that I could occasionally unplug the cables linking my Stereo and plug in the ipod cables.

However, I'm not sure if my Stereo is too old for Component audio cables, I'm normally up on technology but I'm unsure if component cables will be compatible with old ports on my stereo.

Your question is confusing

Okay... so let me GUESS how you are setup.

You have a TV. When you want louder/better sound you turn on your HiFi.

ie: Your Hifi provides the sound for your TV. Nothing else. The TV works with all your stuff while the Hifi is off.

Is that right?

Also - does your DVD sound go into the TV, then the TV's sound into the stereo? Or do you plug the DVD picture into the TV and the DVD sound into the Amp?

---

Now - there's no such thing as component audio cables. Component is for video and it has 3 cables. The iPod/iPhone's audio is your normal left/right stereo.

So - next question

1) does your TV have any inputs left?

2) if so what are they?

Lots more questions but better start here.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    My initial problem is solved, basically there are 5 cables on the Component audio cable. Two are the audio ones, I was wondering whether they would connect to my stereo or if I needed a more modern stereo.

Anyway, I've purchased the cable now and found that they work fine connected to my stereo.

However, now I have a new problem, I have plugged the remaining 3 leads into my Samsung LE37R8 HDTV.

On my iPhone I've plugged the cable into the doc connector, but I have sound and no video.

I've searched around and people seem to be having similar problems.

Is it a bug in the iPhone Software

Is my TV not compatible

or is there a setting on my TV I need to change.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Maybe a software setting?.

Could be the type of component (YUV or RGB) is different between the iPhone and the TV (so changing on either would fix that)

Sorry, don't know.

I'd go to the Apple support/discussions website.
  • Reply 56 of 61

Hi, I have read an article that says you have to plug the "Red into the Yellow, the Yellow into the White and the White into the Red" sockets on your TV. Hope this helps.

• Reply 57 of 61

I think you should read this article http://www.aiseesoft.com/article/play-ipod-video-on-tv.html it should help, I hope.