Difference on older macbook and macbook pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I saw on macmall that they are selling the older model macbooks and macbook pros. For macbook i noticed that the processor is 2.16 instead of 2.0, can anyone tell me what else was changed with the newer model?

For the macbook pro I noticed that the older model's processor is 2.33 instead of 2.4 and the older model has an ati video card instead or nividia. What else was updated on the newer macbook pros? Is it a big difference of i get the 2.33macbook pro with 2gb ram, 256 ati video card from the newer macbook pro with 2.4,2gb ram, and 256 nividia?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    batbat Posts: 47member
    I just (two weeks ago) took delivery of a 17" 2.33 MBP. The questions I asked myself: Will this machine do everything you need it to do, or do you need the very latest iteration? Do you want to keep $900 in your pocket or give it to Apple? The $900 is nice and toasty in my pocket and I couldn't be happier with the MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenrc51 View Post

I saw on macmall that they are selling the older model macbooks and macbook pros. For macbook i noticed that the processor is 2.16 instead of 2.0, can anyone tell me what else was changed with the newer model?

For the macbook pro I noticed that the older model's processor is 2.33 instead of 2.4 and the older model has an ati video card instead or nividia. What else was updated on the newer macbook pros? Is it a big difference of i get the 2.33macbook pro with 2gb ram, 256 ati video card from the newer macbook pro with 2.4,2gb ram, and 256 nividia?

The differences are pretty small performance wise. A 2.4 ghz MBP is probably no more than 10% faster than the 2.33 model it replaced.

I think the second poster who got the 2.33 model for $900 less than the new ones made a wise decision. Then again you may need or notice the 10% speed benefit that the new models may provide. YMMV. This link will give you an idea what to expect from Mac portables. Unfortunately the 2.33 model isn't included.

What do you plan to use your computer for?