Should I keep this pre-November update Macbook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get a Macbook for a long time, and recently purchased one at a reduced price at Fry's Electronics. I knew there had to be a catch for them to be reducing the price, but I didn't figure it out until I got it home and could check. Turns out the models they were clearing out were the older models from before the early November upgrade.

I bought the low end white Macbook on sale for $899, which is cheaper than I could have purchased it with my educational discount, which would have made it $999. The model I bought is as follows:

2 ghz c2d

1 gig ram

80 gig hd

Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64 mb shared with main memory

combo drive

OS x Tiger

I'm eligible for the $9.99 Leopard upgrade through the mail as well.

The same model listed on Apple shows everything the same, except includes an Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory. It also has Leopard pre-installed, although I don't have a problem installing Leopard myself.

I also read somewhere that they also have some other more subtle upgrades as well - is that true?

Anyway, do you think it's worth keeping this one, or should I spend $100 more and get an upgraded one with my college discount? I would kind of like the most recent hardware, but I'm not sure if it warrants the extra $100. Does Leopard need that extra bit of memory - 64mb and 144mb seem like really small amounts, although doubling the amount seems like it would make a difference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Nobody?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Maybe you can answer the question yourself. Check out this link which has some benchmark tests for the machines in question.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I'll make it simple...NO. The difference is a second or 2 and if you are a MB user, you probably aren't into the speedmark tests.The video will be better, but I'd say put the $100 towards savings for your next laptop and start early so that you can get a good one in 2 years.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Well I ended up picking up a new one for $100 more. Even though the upgrades might not be much now, it could make a difference in the future when the next OS comes out...so I think it's better in the long run.

Anybody have any opinions on the Applecare warranty?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    When the next OS comes out, you might be looking at a new laptop. It's usually two years between OS upgrades.

AppleCare: YES. One repair and the relatively small price for the plan is worth it.