How to lose the reflections in Leopard's dock

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why?

Because they don't look very good and they make my computer feel like a toy (I am a really serious power user with no time for fripperies.)

(Not really.)

(But I don't like the new dock.)

This isn't exactly news, but it isn't exactly a dock preference either, and I've just done it, and it looks a hundred thousand times better, and everyone should try it. So here, as a gesture of good will to save people going through the rigmarole of choosing and installing a custom dock when there exists a really nice, functional dock built in already, are the commands to make the dock nice again.

Fire up the old terminal and enter the following commands at the prompts:

Quote:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

killall Dock

Et voila.

Thank you one and all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Or get a new dock at http://www.dockulicious.com/
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Err... I'll go with the way that DOESN'T involve installing hack software on my computer. Hassan's suggestion seems much less dangerous.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I'd think self-made terminal commands would be harder than using a program that does it for you.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    "get[ting] a new dock" involves replacing system files while Hassan's suggestion simply sets a preference
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    "self-made terminal commands"
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

I'd think self-made terminal commands would be harder than using a program that does it for you.

Au contraire! 'Tis but a matter of moments to nip that hideous reflective ghastliness in the bud and have a computer that resembles a Serious Work Tool.

Seriously. This takes seconds and the dock you get is the one that people who have theirs on the side of the screen enjoy, ie., a tastefully-designed, consistent and, well, nice one that you don't have to get used to.

(And I didn't make these commands myself. Really clever people did that so I didn't have to. And now neither do you.)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    $ defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO

$ killall Dock

Do this to get back the original look of the dock.
  • Reply 8 of 8