Please Help - Question on Formating Ext. HD for Back-up

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've purchased a 750MB Hard Drive to be used with my new MacBook. My thoughts are that I would create two partitions; the first formatted with Mac OS Extended with Journaling to be used for Time Machine. And the second partition formatted (FAT32) for backing up XP Windows data files (Word, Excel, Power Point, special data files such as Turbo Tax, etc.)? So when I am running with Fusion, I can create, change, delete, save or backup files to the correct partition.

Am I able to create two partitions with each one formatted differently? Or is there a better way for backing up both types of systems (such as buying a second smaller hard drive to backup my minimal Windows files)?

Thank You

Rick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I'm pretty sure you can do this:

Partition the HD into 2 partitions using Disk Utility. Set-up the one for Time-Machine and then go into windows, and with Disk Management(?), reformat the partition as FAT32.

Or, if you wanted, get a nifty program called MacDrive and you can back up your windows files to a mac-formatted disk... or even to a file within your boot disk, which would then be backed-up with time-machine