Question regarding boot camp and partitions...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm using boot camp with XP since I still need to use Quickbooks and a few other applications until I can afford to upgrade to mac versions. Unfortunately I didn't partition enough space for windows on my disk. i think I gave it 32 mb of room and it needs just a few more. I found this out after having installed quickbooks and using if for about a week now. I tried using disk utility in mac osx leopard. I thought I was creating extra space for windows by making the box smaller for mac osx under 'partitions' in disk utility. When actually I made another blank 32mb partition that's not being used by either OS.

Can anyone help me fix my problem? I want to make that blank space available for windows. I did back up my quickbooks files to a traveldrive, and I have a time machine backup on an external 500 mb harddrive. but I'm hoping for a solution that doesn't involve erasing my boot camp partition and reinstalling all of my software.

Thanks in advance.

Yeti

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yeti View Post

Hi,

I'm using boot camp with XP since I still need to use Quickbooks and a few other applications until I can afford to upgrade to mac versions. Unfortunately I didn't partition enough space for windows on my disk. i think I gave it 32 mb of room and it needs just a few more. I found this out after having installed quickbooks and using if for about a week now. I tried using disk utility in mac osx leopard. I thought I was creating extra space for windows by making the box smaller for mac osx under 'partitions' in disk utility. When actually I made another blank 32mb partition that's not being used by either OS.

Can anyone help me fix my problem? I want to make that blank space available for windows. I did back up my quickbooks files to a traveldrive, and I have a time machine backup on an external 500 mb harddrive. but I'm hoping for a solution that doesn't involve erasing my boot camp partition and reinstalling all of my software.

Thanks in advance.

Yeti

I did a dual boot on my pc and I partitioned a 250GB hdd in 1/2. I have Vista on one side and XP on the other. The computer came w/ Vista Home Prm and I had to do a reinstall. I'm afraid thats whats your gonna have to do too. The great thing about the bootcamp prgmn is that you have something to work with. On a stupid PC, I was going in and out of the bios changing things and 4 hours later after loading everything I was done.

Partition the hdd in half is the best way to go and then using an external or second hdd

(if u have a mac pro) you can use those to store media or other files. I'd use bootcamp to

use Vista and Panther or if possible do a triple boot w/ XP if you can.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yeti View Post

i think I gave it 32 mb of room and it needs just a few more. I found this out after having installed quickbooks and using if for about a week now. I tried using disk utility in mac osx leopard. I thought I was creating extra space for windows by making the box smaller for mac osx under 'partitions' in disk utility. When actually I made another blank 32mb partition that's not being used by either OS.

If you have a 32GB partition, you might be able to format it as MS-DOS using disk utility and see if it mounts while using Windows.

You can also get rid of the spare 32GB partition altogether and get this software to allow Windows to save to your Mac space:

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/