NPD on struggling MP3 market; MacBook tops Amazon

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is the only portable media player maker left unscathed by a drop in sales during this year's holidays, according to an NPD study. Also, the MacBook is crowning Amazon's bestselling computer charts as Christmas approaches.

NPD: Apple treads water while others sink in jukebox market

Apple may not be enjoying the multiples of growth it once did as its iPod business grew to its current size, but the Cupertino, Calif.-based firm may be the only one seeing growth at all in the current market, The NPD Group reports.

The overall market for portable players dipped an average of 16 percent year-over-year for the period between November 18th and December 9th, creating disappointment in a business which is used to upswings in the few weeks between American Thanksgiving and Christmas.

NPD assigns blame to a mature market where most customers are already spoken for; there are fewer newcomers and less chances for growth as a result, according to the group's analysts. Apple may also be skewing the market downwards as it expands its retail avenues to challenge previously isolated rivals and switches from expensive hard drive players to les pricey flash models.

MacBook leads Amazon charts into holidays

Last-minute orders for notebook computers from Amazon before Christmas have been been dominated by the mid-range 2.2GHz MacBook, Fortune claims.

As the morning opened, the white portable was at the top of the rankings and was joined by two additional models, the 2GHz base model at 7th place and the starting MacBook Pro in 10th.

The ranking is likely helped by ongoing rebates as high as $150, the magazine says in its blog. However, systems from HP and other Windows-based manufacturers have had to drop prices by as much as 27 percent to make the list.

Apple has been a familiar presence at the head of the general electronics category, with the 4GB iPod nano outselling Amazon's own Kindle e-book reader. The 8GB iPod nano, 16GB iPod touch, and the 80GB iPod classic are also currently in the top ten as of press time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    AAPL almost hit $200
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has been a familiar presence at the head of the general electronics category, with the 4GB iPod nano outselling Amazon's own Kindle e-book reader. The 8GB iPod nano, 16GB iPod touch, and the 80GB iPod classic are also currently in the top ten as of press time.

Too bad Amazon isn't allowed to sell the iPhone. That would probably crack the top ten, too.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Now is a great time to get a Macbook considering that Apple has just released some security and stability updates and some major updates are coming in January. But that's not all, it seems the new Macbooks have the Fujitsu HD instead of Seagate. I just got mine and it had the Fujitsu HD and someone else I was talking to here just got theirs after me with a Fujitsu HD.

Market share will definitely increase significantly over the next year.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    btw, you switched? switching? or will switch? see your signature?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

btw, you switched? switching? or will switch? see your signature?

Switched.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

Switched.

Good for you, welcome to the world of Macs. Now go save some old PC friend's souls and show them your Mac and the switching will expand exponentially
  • Reply 7 of 13
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I would expect that the cheapest nano would outsell quite a lot of things.

I don't understand why Kindle is so high though, it seems kind of fudged.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Music enabled phone's are starting to take over. Eventually the DAP market will be absorbed by the mobile phone industry.

It would be interesting to see how well the Zune is doing now with Microsoft coming on so late in the game. If the Zune phone doesn't come out in 2008 then it'll be an also-ran too.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yes, that was what I was thinking.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I would expect that the cheapest nano would outsell quite a lot of things.

Is the kindle sold anywhere else?

iPods are sold nearly everywhere which makes their rank at Amazon even more impressive.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Is the kindle sold anywhere else?

iPods are sold nearly everywhere which makes their rank at Amazon even more impressive.

Good point.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Two days after Christmas, the list has changed:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...?tag=word08-20

#1 is now the HP Pavilion DV6662SE, and #2 is one I didn't expect - the Nokia N800 tablet PC.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Odd. I don't get HP's appeal.