Which RAM to buy for MBP

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I currently have a C2D MBP 2.33ghz with 2GB ram installed. I know this particular model supports up to 3GB so I would like to upgrade. The question is which RAM would be compatible in order to leave one 1GB stick in and upgrade the other to 2GB. I know it should be a SODIMM DDR2 667mhz stick. The question is, which brand can I buy? Will it matter if the new stick is a different brand than the original 1GB stick I want to leave in? I am thinking it shouldn't make a difference, but I just want to make sure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Just go here. OWC has great prices, good quality RAM and they stand behind everything they sell. I have upgraded my MacBook with their RAM and it works flawlessly.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I always buy from Crucial. Not the cheapest but never any problems.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    That doesn't really answer my question. What I really want to know is if I can mix the brand of ram i have inside with another brand. I'm in Europe btw so OWC is not in my area.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paprochy View Post

That doesn't really answer my question. What I really want to know is if I can mix the brand of ram i have inside with another brand. I'm in Europe btw so OWC is not in my area.

Check OWC's website. They have all the info about whether you can mix RAM or not. And if you still have a question then use their online chat function to directly ask a consultant.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    oh ok, I'll check that out. Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Ok, that's good to know. Which brand of ram does apple use?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paprochy View Post

Ok, that's good to know. Which brand of ram does apple use?

Presumably whatever they can buy cheapest in bulk that month.

The branding is irrelevant.