Replicating the OS9 energy saver?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there any way to have OSX awaken from sleep mode on it's own? I have looked around with no luck but I really am not sure of what it is I am looking for... any help?

For those unsure of what I am looking for boot into OS 9 go to the energy saver in control panels and set a wake up time... put the computer to sleep and it will wake up at that time...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I don't think there's any way to do it. OS X's Energy Saver still has a long way to go.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Just curious-what do you use that feature for?

Jeff
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I use it as an alarm clock... the sound of the fans spinning and HD spinning up is enough to wake me up when I need to. Of course this mean that I have to boot into 9 every time I want to use this feature...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    I use yhis feature almost every day.

My computer wakes my every day at 7Am by playing an audioCD or a bunch of MP3's.

Since the computer sit in my bedroom, i turn it off before sleeping and it wakes me up every morning ( it's hooked to my stereo)
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Franck:

<strong>I use yhis feature almost every day.

My computer wakes my every day at 7Am by playing an audioCD or a bunch of MP3's.

Since the computer sit in my bedroom, i turn it off before sleeping and it wakes me up every morning ( it's hooked to my stereo)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope its easy listening!! :eek: :eek:
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    There are a bunch of alarm clock apps at versiontracker, don't they wake up the system?

Jeff
  • Reply 7 of 11
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    I don't think so. Your computer must be turned on to use an alarm clock.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Well I miss it to, and this is how I used it:

I'd have my Mac wake up everyday at 4:30. Then, I'd have a schedule in OutlookExpress set to check my email at 4:35 every day. When I got home around 5, my email was already downloaded.

This one missing feature has added at least 20 minutes to my daily 'after work' routine.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    You could write an applescript that does what you want. Then, set a cron job that will run it. Not sure it it'll fire if the machine is sleeping but may be worth a shot.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I too want that feature, because I wrote an AppleScript to download the headlines and open them up in OmniWeb and then have it be there when I wake up, but alas, OS X does not support that.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Tried telling Apple? Use the OS X feedback form @Â*apple.com. I personally never used the automatic startup feature but I'm sure you're not alone.

I'm sure it's not a total waste of time to nag about it, Apple seems to listen to users these days. At least sporadically...