What did you get for christmas :D

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'll start off. This year, i got a good haul. I got an xbox 360, a sharp aquos 32 inch, a new printer, a nice computer speaker set ( philips, very stylish looking ), and a cheap little camera which sucks but it could come in handy if i need to take a fast shot of something. i also got guitar hero 2 which is pretty sick, but i beat it on medium in a few hours, and i'm not good enough to play hard with the guitar yet D:. I also got COD 4, but i got that a while ago.

Yup, it's been a nice haul.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Christmas isn't about material gain for me, but I got quite a lot of nice gifts, which included an Apple TV from my beloved
  • Reply 2 of 27
    i guess this thread didn't take off as i thought it would.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Eh, don't feel bad for trying. Some of the kids here are of the sort that like to discourage anything resembling materialism. Personally, I say go for it.

On topic: I got some books, some unusual chocolate-free candy (I love candy but not chocolate so much), and various other low-key items. I gave wine. Which reminds me: if you're thinking about joining a wine club, try the one offered by K&L (klwines.com). It's great, and all the wines I bought were ones I had tried or were recommended. Around here, basically the wine capital of the western hemisphere, K&L are quite well regarded.

Anyway, under the banner of Christmas gift-giving, I'm probably going to buy myself a new iPod (Nano or Touch ... depends on my soon-to-be experience at the local Apple Store) and a brown/brown-ish suit. About a year ago I decided that I am going to stop wearing black clothes, so there's some amount of wardrobe revitalization at hand.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Lets see. I have a 10 month old little girl and it was her first Christmas. Also, the 1st grandbaby in the family so it was mostly for her. I did manage to get some shiny new rims for my motorcycle.

The wife and I decided our gift would be a swimming pool and hot tub. It's still in the process of being installed. \
  • Reply 5 of 27
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I got my xmas gift a couple minutes ago....

PATS - UNDEFEATED SEASON!! w00t!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I got my xmas gift a couple minutes ago....

PATS - UNDEFEATED SEASON!! w00t!

Cough cough. . . engineered.

The NFL is worse than Italian soccer.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    i got DVDs, clothes, and in a couple weeks will get a Mac Mini after Macworld so i have the latest version..
  • Reply 8 of 27
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Rich-Myster you do sound like a spoiled rich kid.

I don't know what i got yet. We headed out of town for X-mas and left all the gifts at home. I came back today but the wife and kids don't come back for a week and a half. I'll have to find out in the new year.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

I don't know what i got yet. We headed out of town for X-mas and left all the gifts at home. I came back today but the wife and kids don't come back for a week and a half. I'll have to find out in the new year.

He's a kid.

Let's leave it at that.

I got an Oreck. My life is getting increasingly boring. Yes, I did actually ask for it. Although I did get cooking-pot envy when I waltzed through the fire-orange Le Creuset collection at Willams Sonoma. Even the impractical tagines looked amazing given that only Alton Brown ever alerted me to their existence during several episodes of Iron Chef. I also got a stainless steel sauté pan, a Kenneth Cole watch, Spyder synthetic underwear, and a Vermont family ski trip my brother and I paid for. Not much besides that. I am really getting old.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    I gave and received the same that I give and get every other day of the year.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

My life is getting increasingly boring. I am really getting old.

Have your friends started getting married yet? You now can figure out why: boredom.

As for pots & pans, the Le Creuset ones are really nice to look at, but the $10/piece Lodge iron cookware performs about as well. If you have a gas stove, though, mass isn't as important. Good luck with the Oreck. All the cool kids are using Dysons now.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    ugh the guys of our high school lunch table have for the most part remained happily, dorkily, unattached. but one is dating this local newspaper model and doesn't talk to us anymore. the other is living the solo-life of a cs major. and the other just decided to do the law school thing because a philosophy bachelor's degree don't pay the bills. we could have told him that. in fact we did. fruitlessly. after given many lectures about the categorical imperative. god save us all.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

I got an Oreck. My life is getting increasingly boring. Yes, I did actually ask for it. Although I did get cooking-pot envy when I waltzed through the fire-orange Le Creuset collection at Willams Sonoma. Even the impractical tagines looked amazing given that only Alton Brown ever alerted me to their existence during several episodes of Iron Chef. I also got a stainless steel sauté pan, a Kenneth Cole watch, Spyder synthetic underwear, and a Vermont family ski trip my brother and I paid for. Not much besides that. I am really getting old.

Pot and pans and synthetic underwear...

• Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

ugh the guys of our high school lunch table have for the most part remained happily, dorkily, unattached.

Only one of my high school friends is married. A lot of my college friends are married, though. It's eerie when you start getting christmas cards sent by the wives.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

On the contrary, i'm not rich at all. I am getting my own place in 2 months and my familly is just setting me up. If i was rich i wouldn't work haha.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

On the contrary, i'm not rich at all. I am getting my own place in 2 months and my familly is just setting me up. If i was rich i wouldn't work haha.

"Rich kid" means your parents are rich and not you. You should sell all that crap and save the money to buy a place. Now is the best time to buy. If you ask your parents they'll give you the down payment.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    to me getting what he got when your moving out doesnt mean your rich. its just what parents do when you get your first place, at least my family and relatives... i havent moved out yet cause im still in high school
  • Reply 18 of 27
    I don't see what's so bad about having rich parents.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I don't see what's so bad about having rich parents.

By saying, I'm not rich, i mean my family isn't rich. My parents are not rich, we live in a shitty apartment. If anything we're just below medium class, but not low class. My grandfather is the rich one. Once again, if my parents were rich, i wouldn't be working.

I take pride in being a non-high class person who has a nice tv and gaming system. But the truth of the matter is, i'm not spoiled, i got it for christmas and i would not get anything like what i got any other time of the year, except possibly for my birthday.

And just to clear things up, i'm not a kid, in canada i'm an adult at 18, but i guess seeing as i'm 17 i'm not an adult. But i'm not a kid. The term kid is very insulting in fact.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

By saying, I'm not rich, i mean my family isn't rich. . . .

Still, having rich parents is a good thing, I would say.

I also wouldn't be too insulted by the term "kid." Everyone was an 18 year old kid at some point. There are just a few bitter people out there who like to rain on any given parade. I think you can quite easily figure out which posters these are.

Where are you going to be working?