Upgrading my 30gig ipodvideo to a ipod touch?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i have a 30 gig ipod video, when i bought this spanking new ipod it was $299.99 soooooo, i was smart and bought the warranty. I'm now wondering if i can turn in my ipod after it "breaks" and instead of getting a 30gig ipod video get an ipod touch, for free. if i could do this wouyld it be free, if it isnt how muhc would it cost? anyone know?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I don't believe you can do that kind of "upgrade". Last time I checked you can "recycle" your old iPod and get 10% of so off of a new one? I don't know if they still do that.

I have a 30 gig video iPod like yours, and personally, the iPod touch isn't big enough for my needs yet. I have just over 18 gigs of music, so I'd need a bit more breathing space. Perhaps when they get to 64 gigs.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    They won't do this type of replacement because people will purposely break their iPods just to get a different model. People already do that to get an upgraded of their current model.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speed_the_collapse View Post

I don't believe you can do that kind of "upgrade". Last time I checked you can "recycle" your old iPod and get 10% of so off of a new one? I don't know if they still do that.

I have a 30 gig video iPod like yours, and personally, the iPod touch isn't big enough for my needs yet. I have just over 18 gigs of music, so I'd need a bit more breathing space. Perhaps when they get to 64 gigs.

do you mean i pay %10? or i pay %90? assuming they still do that?

i just dont understand why i couldnt "upgrade" im insured by BestBuy for a 300dollar item, why if my ipod were to break, not get a 300dollar item in exchange?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by llamaslices View Post

do you mean i pay %10? or i pay %90? assuming they still do that?

i just dont understand why i couldnt "upgrade" im insured by BestBuy for a 300dollar item, why if my ipod were to break, not get a 300dollar item in exchange?

Like I said if it were to break you would probably be covered and you would be able to get an equivalent iPod or today's equivalent. I have Apple care on my Mac Pro. If it were to break I would not be able to get Macbook Pro(s) as a replacement. They would on the other hand most likely give me a replacement Mac Pro or fix the parts that are broken. I know it's a different example because its a portable device vs. a computer but the same rules apply.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Like I said if it were to break you would probably be covered and you would be able to get an equivalent iPod or today's equivalent. I have Apple care on my Mac Pro. If it were to break I would not be able to get Macbook Pro(s) as a replacement.

they arent making 30gigs anymore so

would odays equivalent be the ipod touch?or the 80gig vid?

ooh, i just occured to me, my dad used to have a psp which tottaly sucked, it broke, many many many many times, like 4, and best buy finnaly decided to give him a best buy gift card for the ammount of money his warranty covered, like 250 for his psp, im wondering now if i could use this method.....
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by llamaslices View Post

they arent making 30gigs anymore so

would odays equivalent be the ipod touch?or the 80gig vid?

ooh, i just occured to me, my dad used to have a psp which tottaly sucked, it broke, many many many many times, like 4, and best buy finnaly decided to give him a best buy gift card for the ammount of money his warranty covered, like 250 for his psp, im wondering now if i could use this method.....

Well I once heard someone say that a certain model of iPod they had (older than the current) broke, and somehow he was given a replacement which was the same model that had previously been discontinued. There is a possibility however that you could get an 80GB replacement if that's not an option. I guess you could always ask for an iPod touch as a replacement but I just think it's really unlikely.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Well I once heard someone say that a certain model of iPod they had (older than the current) broke, and somehow he was given a replacement which was the same model that had previously been discontinued. There is a possibility however that you could get an 80GB replacement if that's not an option. I guess you could always ask for an iPod touch as a replacement but I just think it's really unlikely.

hm.......this could get rather hard to do, but i will do it, no matter how many times it takes me to try lol, wether i do what my father did or not.

well thanks for your help dude!

if anyone else has any ideas/suggestion pleas please please post em!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Yeah, Apple just replaces it with the exact same model that broke. My 30GB 5.5G iPod Classic developed a hardware problem a few weeks after the new models came out back in September, Apple merely replaced it with a brand new 30GB 5.5G iPod Classic. So that's what they'll do with this guy's iPod as well (they obviously keep heaps of the old models for this kind of thing).

So dude, no way you'll get a Touch this way. If you want a Touch that desperately, just don't use the replacement one Apple gives you and sell it to someone (a friend, on eBay, whatever), and then use that money to buy a Touch.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I had to exchange my 5th gen. iPod video after a day of ownership due to some video playback problem. I got it as a present in White and I did not have a receipt but the Geniuses behind the counter agreed it was a dud. When exchanging I asked if I could get the same thing in Black and they wouldn't even do that.

I also found out from the Apple Genius that Apple stores are required by some California law to have a back stock of something like 3 or 4 years worth of each model, meaning if I was to bring in a 3rd Gen. iPod I would get the exact same model back.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Where I live, I can trade in any iPod for store credit at Circuit City. I just got the new iPod Classic and I haven't tried it out yet. But it does sound like a good idea.