Adobe CS3 Phones Home... using a deceptive URL designed to hide its true purpose!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Lies, Lies and Adobe Spies

Quote:

When you launch a CS3 application the application pings out to what looks like an IP address - and internal IP address: 192.168.112.2O7.

That makes sense, right? Adobe wants to be sure you aren’t running multiple copies of their programs…. Wait something is wrong here.

The first clue something is fishy is that I don’t use a 192.168.xxx.xxx numbering scheme in my network. Secondly, if you look at the address Little Snitch is displaying, the last “numbers” of the IP address (2O7) look funny. Also, IP address don’t end in any .com/net/org suffix.

Turns out that 192.168.112.2O7.net is owned by Omniture, a huge behavioral analytics firm. Hmmmmmm, anybody curious why Adobe is doing this? Anybody care to sniff packets? I sense an invasion of privacy here!

Tell me, has anyone noticed this on their version? I myself have CS2 and am happy with it. Not seriously interested to upgrade ever again (unless I move up from my current reliable eMac). Adobe hasn't been too friendly with Mac users anyway (as far back as PS 7)

If anyone is as sick and tired of Adobe PS, here are some alternatives. Though they are still in beta and aren't free (like Gimp...but you get what you pay for there IMO) they are way cheaper than PS.

Acorn - From other users reviews, it seems to run faster than Gimp.

Pixel Image Editor
- I was looking around for an image editor for Linux and this turned up. It is also available for:

Quote:

Windows, Linspire, MacOSX, BeOS, Zeta, QNX, MorphOS, FreeBSD, eComStation, OS/2, SkyOS and even old plain DOS, for both x86 and PowerPC architectures.

Same price as Acorn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Adobe is working with Sony to develope a root kit.

Hang in there they should have it available soon.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    The program the blogger uses is worth mentioning...

Little Snitch

Quote:

As soon as you’re connected to the Internet, applications can potentially send whatever information they want to wherever they want.

Sometimes they do this for good reason, on your explicit request. But often they don’t. Little Snitch allows you to intercept these unwanted connection attempts, and lets you decide how to proceed.

Little Snitch informs you whenever a program attempts to establish an outgoing Internet connection. You can then choose to allow or deny this connection, or define a rule how to handle similar, future connection attempts. This reliably prevents private data from being sent out without your knowledge. Little Snitch runs inconspicuously in the background and it can also detect network related activity of viruses, trojans and other malware.

I'm downloading it tonight.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Did the Adobe EULA mention any of this behavior?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

Did the Adobe EULA mention any of this behavior?

See for yourself. They locked copying/pasting from the PDF and there are outside URLs to the third party and activation issues.

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/...60817_1651.pdf

I don't have time to go into it right now at work.